17" uMBP Boot Issues

eswank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
I've been deployed in Afghanistan for only a week and my 17" MacBook Pro is having boot issues. Before I left, I went ahead and
upgraded my boot drive and swapped out my SuperDrive to two Crucial MX-200's 1TB each. I also upgraded my OS to to El Capitan. If you see the attached pictures this is what I'm running into. The status bar boots half way and freezes. If I reset the PRAM the blue screen comes up. If I resent the SMC then the boot screen with the crazy lines show up. Can anyone help with this?!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
It may be related to a gpu problem. You would need to have Apple test it. Apple has an extended repair program:
https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
Having the same MBP and experiencing the same problems, that is exactly what came to mind.

I paid a flat rate repair of around $320 and a few months later that was refunded as part of the recall - the recall window ended in Feb this year, .....but it would still be worth spending $320 on the flat rate repair.

Thank you for your service @eswank.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Having the same MBP and experiencing the same problems, that is exactly what came to mind.
I paid a flat rate repair of around $320 and a few months later that was refunded as part of the recall - the recall window ended in Feb this year, .....but it would still be worth spending $320 on the flat rate repair.
Thank you for your service @eswank.
The models in my link are eligible until Feb. 2016 (next year). The OP has a 2011 17" MBP which is part of the linked repair extension.