17" UMBP, Bootcamp and Vista

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JimmyDreams, Apr 23, 2009.

1. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

Hi everyone...

JUST took delivery of my new 2.66mHz UMBP a few hours ago.

I have to set up BootCamp on it to run Vista. Can I run (or do I need) Vista 32bit or 64bit version?

Also, when I start to run BootCamp, the setup fails on the 'partition the disk' step. I've tried running VERIFY and it still failed. I'm thinking a visit to an Apple Genius is next for me, but I thought I'd run it by you gurus first. Ideas?

2. edblor macrumors regular

32 or 64bit; your call. Both work!

As for Bootcamp, I believe the best way to format the drive is using the Windows disc. When you start up with the Windows CD in, during the install you need to choose Advanced settings, and format the partition. Careful there though, as the partition you need is like 3rd in the list that the Windows installer sees.

If all else fails, Google "using BootCamp". Unfortunately it is not as cut and dry as we all think. It's not hard, or even complicated, but there are some steps that may not seem obvious.

G/L. Have fun. I'm sure your new laptop is fine :)

Ed

3. JimmyDreams thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply and tips. I was just wondering if the 64bit version would be faster than the 32bit.

I'll see how bad the setup is. :/

LOVE the new laptop. I won't love paying the BILL, but that's another story....

:)

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

If you can go for 64 bit, your 17" Unibody has 4GB of Ram and the VGA has a separate 512MB. 32 bit can use a max of 3.5GB RAM (including graphics and other miscellaneous hard ware bits and bobs), so you'd be using 3 of the 4GB of RAM max.

System will report the full amount if it's SP1, doesn't mean it can use it.

5. edblor macrumors regular

I went with 32bit as that was what my Vista install was. That was the first time I did the Bootcamp thing.

I went with Windows 7 the 2nd time though, and it is 64bit. Both work as advertised. Not sure either is really faster, but both serve a purpose.

Have fun!