17'' UMBP Hard-Sleeve Options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigvb@hotmail.c, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bigvb@hotmail.c macrumors member

Basically im a student at college, and take my current 13'' Macbook in my bag with books and notepads etc. I just have my Macbook in a neoprene sleeve and due to crushing my Macbook as signs of wear and a small crack around the case.

Im getting a nee 17'' umbp this week and i also need to be taking it to college with me. But i dont want it to get crushed in my book bag. The best solution i thought was to get a hard-sleeve, such as this axio hard-sleeve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But Axio told me they havent yet made one to fit the new unibody 17".
    I would have thought this would do a perfect job of protecting my laptop from being crushed in my bag.

Are there any other options, at this time?

Btw i dont want a whole new bag, just a sleeve. Cheers c

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

umm here is the 17" sleeve you want

http://www.axio-usa.com/hardsleeve17.html

i use one for my 15" and there great.

EDIT i see what you are saying

well like i said i think they are the best so i would wait until they come out.

EDIT: wait a minute they said that it is not compatible with the new 15" as well, but im using it and it fits fine!!!

3. bigvb@hotmail.c thread starter macrumors member

well axio told me the new UMBP doesnt fit in their 17" hardcase.

What are the best options until axio make the new one.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

to tell you the truth i've never run across another company that makes it as well as Axio does. i would say order it and see if it fits. like i said mine does and they say it shouldnt so who knows.

5. bigvb@hotmail.c thread starter macrumors member

anyone know if the booq Vyper XL2 fits the unibody 17"?

6. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I use this isisdei sleeve and its great, it's got memory foam which protects the laptop and it's got an inside lip which protects against scratches from the zip. Was only $22 and I highly recommend it, they come in lots of different designs but I got the plain black one :)
    [​IMG]

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

He wants a hard sleeve, and this isnt one. Hard sleeves are..... hard, and provide far superior protection, especially for your screen, over memory foam.

8. foshizzle macrumors regular

You use this on your 15" unibody? and it fits perfectly? My case from booq broke (zipper) and I'm looking for a new one. This looks fantastically better.

thanks for the info, i've never seen this before. Does it add much weight?

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the case weighs about 2lbs so it adds that much weight haha

10. bigvb@hotmail.c thread starter macrumors member

apparently the booq vyper XL2 does fit the new unibody 17'', i just called booq. ganna order it now

11. SecondDealer macrumors regular

Personally I have a Spec 15" clear hard case for my computer which protects it constantly from most outside threats and for greater protection while transporting it I slide it inside a foam case by incase. The hard case i only recently purchased but the soft case has been great for the past nine months.

12. SecondDealer macrumors regular

13. quackwack macrumors member

i have the booq vyper xl2 and personally i don't feel 100% comfortable in using it when taking my mbp out and about. i started a thread on here as i was torn between getting the moshi codex or the tom bihn brain cell. i ended up getting the moshi codex because an apple reseller had them in store nearby and haven't regretted it since. it does have a hard sleeve rigid component added with the memory foam so you have the best of both worlds. plus it has a handle too incase you wan't to carry it by itself. obviously this does mean it is a tad thicker than the booq but for the extra protection it is hardly a pay off.

oh yeah also, you should be able to use any exisiting sleeve / case with the new macbook pro 17 inchers as the dimensions are practically the same - all manufacturers that i contacted have not changed their designs for the new 17" mbps.

14. bigvb@hotmail.c thread starter macrumors member