17" uMBP light leaking dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gloor, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I have a dilemma whether or not to ask for exchange. I have these light stripes that are not so much visible when looking directly at the screen but you can still feel the difference and see it slightly. If you look at the screen from a side angle then it is really obvious. My gf has the same laptop but she doesn't have any of that. Do you think I should return it?

Some pictures to show what I mean. I know its only visible on black but that doesn't make difference, does it?

Attached Files:

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

if you care enough definitely return it. personally i would return it because it could get worse down the road. and you paid a lot of money for it not to be perfect.

3. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess you are right. Will call apple in the morning and see if they can get it replaced in within 2 weeks (I'm traveling :( )

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

2 weeks should be enough time. if they do it onsite its usually done in 24hrs - 2 days. if they have to send it out it will be around 2 weeks. heres hoping:)

5. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

how do you see if you have backlight bleeding?

6. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Out of curiosity, is this the anti-glare screen? Or is the regular glass?

7. nein macrumors newbie

im aware of the backlight bleed on my unit as well. however from what ive been reading your never really going to have a perfect display. its all going to have bleed.

is this true? also since i have applecare in 1 year if i decide to take the unit because of backlight bleeding will they look after me or is this a kind of 15 day after you bought it kind of deal.

thanks

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Been through 4 MacBook Pro's (not because of bleed) and they all have it. Some worse than others. The bleed OP has is pretty damn bad, mine happen at the bottom as well and less than an inch high. I would go get an exchange.

9. pyroo macrumors member

did anybody notice the spot of light leaking at the bottom right corner of the laptop? i would replace it for sure if that was the case

10. Benjic macrumors regular

That, my friend, would be the mouse pointer. :p

11. golfhero macrumors member

It's pretty bad (although I had one unit that was worse...). I would definitely replace it. I am on my third unit due to backlight bleeding and finally received a perfect unit. They do exist - my latest has no bleeding at all.

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Actually thats not that bad. Most displays in full black color in the dark looks hideous. But that doesnt look too bad especially when your just using it daily probably wont notice.

13. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much for your feedback guys. Called Apple and the replacement units is on the way.

Its matte screen btw.

Also, to those who say that its not that bad and that all units have it. I agree, all lcds I've come across have it some worse, some less but seeing that my gf has almost nothing then it is like slap in the face when I sit next to her and I have those vertical lines. Apple was great about it and they also put me on priority so I should really be fine and get it within 2 weeks.

Thanks and lets hope the new one is issue free.

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

good stuff. and i hope that your new one is perfect but we're here just in case.

15. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you. ill keep you posted. I just don't want any dead pixel. I have one on my 30"ACD but as its so huge I am fine with that. Laptop would bother me so lets hope :)

16. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I kind of agree. Though the screen is far from perfect, it looks A LOT better than 90% of the screens I've seen on this forum. I think you're always going to have a little backlight bleeding.

I think the chance of getting a replacement with a worse screen is too great to risk. I've seen others with dead pixels, dust under the screen, and "columns" of backlight bleeding, even on the 17-inchers. Not to mention other problems with video cards, gaps between the body and display, etc. If it were mine, I would keep it.

But, you paid a lot of money for the laptop. You've got to do what makes you happy.

17. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I agree. The risk is there but the option to keep exchanging it is also there and seeing that i have a desktop then I'm in no rush. Except a week of work holiday for 8 days but that will still cover me as it looks that I'll be getting the replacement just before I leave :)
    Also, as I mentioned before, it would be ok if I didn't see my gf's one. She has very minimal bleed (in fact almost nothing or as one would say "within specs") then I just can't justify the price. Over £2k is a lot of money. So, wish me luck and I'll let you know. :)
    P.s.: The obsessing waiting game is also quite fun :))))

18. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean. I'm very particular about my computers. I went through two Macbook Air's (one was wobbly, the other had a weird trackpad button) before my third one was run over by a car. Long story.

I also went through two new Unibody MBP's before finally finding one that was acceptable. Just keep trying until you get one that makes you happy.