17" UMBP Photo Shoot (with Thinkpad T60p Comparo)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Colin Guinn, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Colin Guinn macrumors newbie

Did a quick shoot with a 5DmkII of the new MBP 17" with a Glossy Screen. Both Laptops had their screens set to 100% brightness. I never complained about my Thinkpad's screen, but the difference is staggering...especially the color and viewing angles!

To see more of the pictures or to download full res versions of any of these images you can follow this link to the SmugMug gallery.

Hope you guys enjoy...I'm sure loving this work of art!

Attached Files:

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

And everyone says Thinkpads have better screens

Hahahahaha

:D

[​IMG]

Thats satanism, dont torture your MBP like that!

3. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Yeah. You should put the MBP ON TOP of the thickpad.

4. semitry macrumors member

Like the T60p is in the same league as the new 17" UMBP lol. Should compare it with the W700 for a fair comparison.

The T60p is like 2 generations off, 15" and glossy vs matte. Sweet pictures anyways.

5. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Is that a pubic hair on it in the first attached pic?

6. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

Nice comparison. I have two T60p's one has the UXGA IPS flexview and the other is a specially modified QXGA IPS flexview screen (2048*1536) (originally made for the R50p) and i can tell you that the qxga ips made by idtech/ibm is the best laptop screen i have ever seen so far... (google qxga t60 at forum.thinkpads.com for a fun mod for your t60p) and congrats on a beautiful MBP 17"...
    i am waiting to hear about the matte 17" unibody

7. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

Thanks a lot Nikos, I just sprayed Mountain Dew all over my keyboard. :D

8. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

isn't that a very old thinkpad? not fair comparing a new apple to an old thinkpad.

9. tobyg macrumors 6502a

Nice Pics, thanks... but...

2 suggestions next time.

White balance - sometimes this is hard when trying to get accurate colors of the machine plus the screen, but just playing with it a little bit in Lightroom (Without the raws it's a bit harder) I think it could have been done better...

Also, next time save the jpgs with RGB colorspace. Unfortunately Firefox still doesn't read and use the colorspace stored in files, so these would only look correct in a colorspace aware browser, such as Safari.

Had you said you shot these with your P&S or not said at all, I might not care... but because you are using such an expensive camera, I think we deserve better shots! :)

Thanks, though, great shots showing the screen. Now I just want to see a matte version to see how it compares.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

OMG, my heart sank, with the amount of people talking about accidental scratches on their new Unibody Macs the OP puts that StinkPad on top of his new MBP. :eek: Nice Corian countertop BTW. ;)

11. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

Nice shots and nice choice of environment but we deserve better quality from that expensive camera :D

Yes, we are greedy and would love to see more and better photos :)

12. Colin Guinn thread starter macrumors newbie

I as said originally, this was just a super quick shoot to get some photos up for those that haven't received theirs yet...I did take the raw's into Camera Raw and quickly adjust the white balance, but I wanted to get back to playing with my new machine as quickly as possible. Thanks for baring with the crappy photos...

13. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

lmao :p

--

Thanks for the pics

14. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I agree. I would even go as far as to say the W700 screen is better, although I have no proof. Too bad the W700 is such an ugly monster.

15. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

absolutely beautiful, Macbook pro's are so nice. I just like the Macbook pro words under the screen hhaha, clean pics

16. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

Having too much fun!

Having too much fun with that new computer, eh?

17. Colin Guinn thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true...and I'm sure the newer Thinkpads have much better screens than mine. I have been very happy with my T60 for three years now...other than the fact that it runs windows. I wish I had a W700 to take comparison pictures of...there's a high likelihood that it would have been even better than the MBP's screen. But I've got to say, this screen is AMAZING! I'm seeing things in photos that I could NEVER see on my old laptop. This screen to me seems better than the screen in my aluminum 24" iMac...which I feel is a pretty decent screen for a desktop. All in all, I'm thrilled with my purchase and I LOVE the screen!

18. Colin Guinn thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a long wait, you know... :)

19. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Those are some very beautiful photos of your new MBP. Nice job.

I know most people here won't like ThinkPads, but as a MBP and ThinkPad user, I can appreciate the "tank-like" build of ThinkPads. I have a T42 (I know it's old) and it runs like a champ, as does the MBP. ;)

20. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I hope you have a moshi clearguard to protect the keys!! ;-)

21. raysmd macrumors member

I whole heartedly agree with this statement. I have both also and feel that I can just throw my TP around and not worry about it. Even with the unibody, I have to be a little careful.

22. EB66 macrumors 6502

dang you just cant beat the thinkpad for raw beauty no matter what apple tries :D

23. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

I gotta say before I switched to Mac my only machines were IBM Thinkpads (the Lenovo's just aren't the same quality) and they were sturdy and very reliable.

24. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

The Macbook looks beautiful in those shots but the screen looks hideous. Is that the IPS Flexview 1440x900 screen on the T60P you have there? How come the color is so off, those things usually have legendary viewing angles.

Either both of your screens need some calibration or the photo is distorting things. Look at the 3rd shot in the original attachments where the MBP and the T60P are side by side:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=159166&d=1235364122

Look how ugly the text looks on the "Best Buy Offering iPhone..." title on the MBP compared to the T60P. On the MBP it's over saturated so much that the text is blooming and almost glowing. On the T60P the text is clear and has no evidence at all of blooming.

The color of the background behind the T60P text is horribly off though. It's supposed to be closer to red but on the shot it looks almost dark brown/black. Looks like the entire screen has a nasty blue tint to it as if it's horribly calibrated to an extreme blue tint.

The MBP colors are off. The Best Buy stickers are the wrong shade of yellow and the iPhone pictures are again suffering from white bleeding into the over saturated black. The T60P has a more correct looking black and the right contrast on the Best Buy sticker but again the color is completely off - it's too orange.

I'm viewing this on Safari on OSX on an external monitor and your colors are just way off. I can't tell if it's your camera or if it's your notebooks that aren't calibrated properly, but it's clear to me the MBP is over saturated and the T60P has a blue tint to it in the picture - might be the viewing angle, don't know. The background behind that headline though should be at least remotely close to red, and you can't even tell it's red from the shot.