Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
2 days ago I was able to pickup a 17" (glossy) MBP from a retail location, and just wanted to mention that the display on this particular notebook is absolutely stunning. I had the 15" unibody MBP previously and sold it to upgrade to the 17. The 15" screen I had was very nice, but had tons of light bleed among other small issues that always bothered me.

The screen model I have is 9C99, does anyone know who manufactures this screen? It is far and away the best screen I've had on a notebook before :)

smith666

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
London
17" Uni MBP Display = NOT Amazing!

Not so good on the one I received. The screen is very blue with the default profile, and colours are very washed out. It can be improved somewhat by creating a custom profile, however even after doing this it's still not as vibrant or colour accurate as my old MacBook Pro 17" Hi-Res glossy CCFL screen.

The screen in the new unibody MacBook Pro 17" 2.66Ghz I received is a 9C98. I wonder if the processor speed determines what screen you get, or maybe it's just luck. If anyone can reply with their screen model and processor speed it would be a great help, since I will be asking Apple for an exchange.

The screen model can be checked by opening System Preferences -> Color LCD -> Color -> Open Profile then selecting #13 (in the list) and reading the Model field.

From what I can gather the 9C98 may be made by Samsung, and the 9C99 may be an LG unit, although I'm not 100% sure.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Mines great, you have to calibrate it of course like you do with any LCD screen, just go to system preferences and put the gamut to 2.2 and turn the white balance way down, that sorted out my slight blue issue :)

smith666

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
London
Mines great, you have to calibrate it of course like you do with any LCD screen, just go to system preferences and put the gamut to 2.2 and turn the white balance way down, that sorted out my slight blue issue :)

I did the calibration and still it's bad. What model screen and processor is yours?

smith666

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
London
2.93 Ghz Processor
Screen: 9C99

Why would the processor matter?

Not sure, but Apple are obviously using two different types of glossy screens (from two different manufactures?), and a third type for the anti-glare option. As far as I can tell reading other forums, only people with 2.66Ghz processors are reporting bad screens, so maybe Apple are using 9C98's on 2.66Ghz processor models and 9C99's on the 2.93Ghz.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I think apple just selected whatever they had and installed it. Its not uncommon for Apple or any other computer companies to install different brand of the same hardware on the same model systems.

I have the 9C98. 2.93GHz model glossy.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I just found that info by reading someone's post in the Apple Discussions. It appears that some of the 9CAC displays don't look too good. I don't really have a problem with mine.

I can attest that I have had similar problems with Apple's notebooks in the past. I recall the whole piss yellow debacle when the LED backlits where first intro'd. And I also had a 17" MacBook Pro high resolution from the previous generation that couldn't display an evenly backlit display to save its life. Those were frustrating times.

At least in my case, I lucked out this time? I have other issues but they have nothing to do with Apple :D

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Not sure, but Apple are obviously using two different types of glossy screens (from two different manufactures?), and a third type for the anti-glare option. As far as I can tell reading other forums, only people with 2.66Ghz processors are reporting bad screens, so maybe Apple are using 9C98's on 2.66Ghz processor models and 9C99's on the 2.93Ghz.

I wouldnt be suprised, you have to pay a lot more for the slightly faster processor, and since you don't even get a better graphics card perhaps this is Apples way of making the extra $$ worthwhile.

It wouldn't be a first time, theres more than an extra graphics card and fw800 ports difference between the Macbook and Macbook Pro 2.4.

smith666

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
London
I think apple just selected whatever they had and installed it. Its not uncommon for Apple or any other computer companies to install different brand of the same hardware on the same model systems.

I have the 9C98. 2.93GHz model glossy.

You could be right, it may just be random.

Are you happy with your screen, the colours, and the viewing angle? I know mine is noticeably worse than my previous mid-2007 MBP 17" Hi-Res glossy. The new screen on mine does not live up to Apple's claim on their website.

2.3 million pixels of perfection.

With the high-resolution LED-backlit widescreen display on the 17-inch MacBook Pro, you get desktop-quality color in an Apple notebook for the first time. The moment you open your MacBook Pro, you’re greeted instantly by full, corner-to-corner screen brightness. The 1920-by-1200-pixel resolution (133 pixels per inch) means you can view more palettes and windows or watch HD video in its native 1920-by-1080 resolution. Perfect whether you’re working in the studio or out in the field, the display offers a 60 percent greater color gamut than previous generations for richer, more vibrant colors and a 700:1 contrast ratio that makes whites brighter and blacks blacker.

smith666

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
London
I also have the brightness problem (lack of brightness) on my 9C98 screen. Anything less than 50% brightness is very dim, with very dull colours. My old machine (mid-2007 MBP 17" glossy Hi-Res) is much brighter at these levels.

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009

I have a 2.66 Glossy with the 9C99 screen - no issues at all.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
You could be right, it may just be random.

Are you happy with your screen, the colours, and the viewing angle? I know mine is noticeably worse than my previous mid-2007 MBP 17" Hi-Res glossy. The new screen on mine does not live up to Apple's claim on their website.

2.3 million pixels of perfection.

With the high-resolution LED-backlit widescreen display on the 17-inch MacBook Pro, you get desktop-quality color in an Apple notebook for the first time. The moment you open your MacBook Pro, you’re greeted instantly by full, corner-to-corner screen brightness. The 1920-by-1200-pixel resolution (133 pixels per inch) means you can view more palettes and windows or watch HD video in its native 1920-by-1080 resolution. Perfect whether you’re working in the studio or out in the field, the display offers a 60 percent greater color gamut than previous generations for richer, more vibrant colors and a 700:1 contrast ratio that makes whites brighter and blacks blacker.

I am very happy with my screen. I have it calibrated and the colors are very vibrant and sharp. I dont have this brightness problem either. I normally use the display w/ autobrightness and have it dim/brighten due to conditions in the setting I'm in. However, if I were to work on post processing on my photos in Aperture, I use 100% brightness. I compare my screen to the iMac 24" and Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz.

The viewing angles are very good compared to my MacBook. I normally watch TV Shows/Movies in bed and with a larger 17" screen, I just leave the system on the table and hop in bed.

smith666

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
London
I have a 2.66 Glossy with the 9C99 screen - no issues at all.

Thanks for your input. Seems like everyone with the 9C99 is very happy with their display.

I will call Apple on Monday to ask for an exchange. They cannot advertise the the advantages of the new screen 'the display offers a 60 percent greater color gamut than previous generations for richer, more vibrant colors', when it is noticeably worse than my old mid-2007 MBP 17" Hi-Res glossy display.

Apart from the screen the new machine is great! And would have been even better if they used the Samsung 256GB SSD, instead of the rather average Toshiba 256SSD.

smith666

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
London
I am very happy with my screen. I have it calibrated and the colors are very vibrant and sharp. I dont have this brightness problem either. I normally use the display w/ autobrightness and have it dim/brighten due to conditions in the setting I'm in. However, if I were to work on post processing on my photos in Aperture, I use 100% brightness. I compare my screen to the iMac 24" and Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz.

The viewing angles are very good compared to my MacBook. I normally watch TV Shows/Movies in bed and with a larger 17" screen, I just leave the system on the table and hop in bed.

That's great. Maybe there is a quality control issue with the 9C98's and not all of them are created equal.

The MacBooks do use a cheaper screen, and the viewing angles are not so good as the Pro machines. The MacBook Air has a 13" screen but it is pro quality.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
2 days ago I was able to pickup a 17" (glossy) MBP from a retail location, and just wanted to mention that the display on this particular notebook is absolutely stunning. I had the 15" unibody MBP previously and sold it to upgrade to the 17. The 15" screen I had was very nice, but had tons of light bleed among other small issues that always bothered me.

The screen model I have is 9C99, does anyone know who manufactures this screen? It is far and away the best screen I've had on a notebook before :)

How do I find out out my screen model for my 17 UMBP? I went to settings, display, color, lcd panel, but under model number there is no screen model?

bxlewi1

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2006
I've got a 2.66GHz with the 9c98 screen. This is my second 17". The first had a problem where the glass over the LCD wasn't secure and was peeling away. So I had a replacement shipped out. This one has secure glass and the 9c98 screen. I'm not sure which one the first 17" had, but I suspect the first was 9c99 - if only because it feels a little different than the other. Calibrated it seems just fine. There was a little bit of a bluish tint toward it initially, but I noticed that with the first one too.

The thing I have to get used to is wearing my glasses when using the laptop. I'm not certain if this is because of the higher resolution or the higher brightness compared to the old 15" MBP the 17" replaced.

smith666

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
London
How do I find out out my screen model for my 17 UMBP? I went to settings, display, color, lcd panel, but under model number there is no screen model?

The screen model can be checked by opening System Preferences -> Color LCD -> Color -> Open Profile then selecting #13 (in the list) and reading the Model field.

Did you select a profile (any will do) and open it using the 'Open Profile' button?

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I have to agree w/ OP...I have the matte screen (9CAC) and it is simply the best screen I have ever had on a MB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.