17" Unibody Anti-Glare @ APPLE STORE

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vote4anh, Mar 22, 2009.

1. vote4anh macrumors newbie

Hello Folks,

The Apple Store in Palo Alto, CA at the Standford mall has the 17" Unibody on display and for sell!

It sat next to the glossy model to compare. I have to say after looking at the anti-glare, it give me doubts about buying the glossy one :cool:

It was a shock to me since this store is SUPER SMALL, they have a bigger store in downtown Palo Alto.

FYI! That they are selling them in the store now!

2. bossxii macrumors 68000

Aye, they had a glass and a matte 17" at a local store here in Kansas City on the 9th of March on display and for sale. I still went with the glass, just like it better for what I use it for and where I use it. To each his own, the matte was fine, just prefer the glass display. Good luck deciding :)

3. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

Bossxii liked the black bezel look. :p

4. bossxii macrumors 68000

I endorse this statement :D

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've always liked the matte screens, but I'm heading out to the Apple Store tomorrow and take a look firsthand....:cool:

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I went to the Apple store in San Diego (Fashion Valley mall) and they had a matte screen 17". I put my non-unibody 15" MacBook Pro next to it (brought it because the battery was shot) and still much preferred the non-unibody design. The black around the display just does not look good, but at least it is better than being stuck with a glossy display only.

7. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

I finally went down to the Apple store and looked at both of them.

The anti glare blew me away - stunning - my choice.

The great thing for those after the 17" is we have a CHOICE :D

8. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Okee Dokee, this is the last glass vs matte thread I will ever post in. I used to have a matte MBP. I now have a glass UMBP 17. I used to say that both gloss and matte had their pros and cons because I had passing usage with gloss and glass screens, but now I know: Glass is the best option. Here's why:

Modern LED brightness can power through nearly any reflection. Its much more difficult to power through matte because instead of spots of brightness here or there there is a wash of light refracted over the entire the surface of the screen. With glass you may have some spots on the screen that are useless in direct sun, but on the matte the entire screen is made useless. Even in a bright room facing away from light, matte washes out.

Matte screens are textured to make them matte. People bitch a lot that the glass screens over saturate colors and contrast. That's totally wrong. Matte screen's texture subdues colors. It also makes the image less sharp because of the texture distortion. The intensity of the glass image is not some trick of the glass, its the lack of surface texture distortion.

There is no reason not to have a glass screen when dealing with color reproduction. I've worked in digital photography, print, and web animation. In photography and photographer worth his salt prints on glossy. Magazines are printed on glossy paper. Web viewers most likely have glossy screens. If you want to know, accurately, how people will see your work then glossy is the best way.

And, BTW, my work space is surrounded by windows and I have no problem with the screen. Its the best I've ever worked with and I've owned 21" Lacie and Sony Trinitron CRTs. This is the best. Thank you Apple.

9. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Mark2000 - My opinion is the opposite of yours.

The "choice" is the best - to each their own.

10. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Whatever :p

No, it is not... It's YOUR best option, for YOU.

This guy sums up your ridiculous (edit: repeated) claim that one is better than another.:rolleyes:

11. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Well, if, by opinion, you mean that having a handicapped, distorted screen that you need to compensate for is a matter of like and dislike, then you are correct. You can have that lesser screen if you want. Some people still think vinyl is the best source of audio with all those lovely clicks and hissing.

However, matte screens are physically inferior at displaying color and sharpness. A texture on a transparent surface will distort the image under it, like ripples on water. That's a fact. You can have your screen and your "choice" but don't be surprised when the majority of people voting with dollars and tech engineers take that choice away from you because the newer tech is the better tech. You're a dinosaur. Get over it.

12. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Well - by opinion I mean that I formed a judgement as to the suitability of the two screen options available. For me the matte is the one. An associate purchased a glassy screen due to initial "pop" - now he regrets it because of the reflections he experiences. Great job Apple - and the anti-glare option looks very finished with the matte bezel - the image is the centerpiece, as it should be.

Choice is great - thanks again Apple :D

"Dinosaur", "Get over it" :confused: :confused:

Sounds as if you have some issues to get over.

13. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

this argument should have its own category just like the macbook, air, and macbook pro all have their own section haha. its just getting ridiculous.

14. phluid13 macrumors member

phluid13

Can't we all just get along?

Everyone here is entitled to their opinions and self experiences. I, for one, love the glossy glass screen. But thats not to say I didn't consider the matte screen at first purchase. I went and did a comparison and decided on the glossy screen after my own personal experience. Some people have a hard time focusing on one particular thing when there is a reflection. It, as I have heard stated on these forums before, all depends on the user. While there IS a definitive answer on which screen is actually better in the way of receiving quality and sharpness, some users don't mind and don't even notice the softness of the matte screen. Some users don't notice the glare on the glossy screen and, in fact, seemingly look straight through the glare and never see it all. I have no problem looking through the glares. These "Matte vs. Glossy" screen wars are simply ridiculous. It doesn't matter at this point which is better, it is a matter of personal preference due to personal experience.

15. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

The personal experience says it all - some look through/past the reflection - others focus on it.

A matter of preference & experience & application & whatever.

Happy we have a choice :D

16. SecondDealer macrumors regular

I agree, I've always been a fan of the matte screen, it's what I have and use daily. I figure if you truly want to get close to 1080p perfection you can always invest in a nice tv or monitor, but for every day use, I go with practicality over exception.

17. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I finally got to see a 17 unibody matte at the Apple store and the beige/gray bevel clashing with the black rubber screen guard outlining the screen was hideous.

I love the practicality of the matte over the glass, but looking at that ugly border all day would drive me bonkers. Apple could have at least colored the rubber something other than black. Nasty.