17" Unibody battery.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by detz, Feb 20, 2009.

1. detz macrumors 65816

Given I've only had it one day so I can't say for sure but so far it beats any computer I or anyone else in the office has ever had. I got my macbook at 9:30 this morning and I had a hour meetting at noon. I got it and plugged it in and started loading apps on it. Meeting time came and the boss made it clear to take our power bricks because we would be in there for a while. Well...I didn't take mine and when I left the meeting I still had 59 minutes to spare.(4.5 hour meeting) ;) Needless to say I'm impressed, did it last 8 hours, no but did it lasted at least 5 running full time with wireless, browsing and installing. Has any computer ever done that before..no. Another co-worker has a netbook and his battery lasts for about 4.5 hours, this giant 17" macbook dual-core 7200RPM HD last longer than his netbook. To sum up, great machine and great battery life.

Side note. Can you swap the battery in 30 seconds...No, but we knew this. It took me under 15 minutes to change out the HD today so to change the battery in this thing would probably take anywhere from 5-8 minutes and even less if you didn't want to put back all eight screws. The battery is changeable if you want to carry a screw driver with you.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. Dreamail macrumors 6502

I wonder how long it'll be until a third party develops a replacement bottom lid with easy battery access and matching battery which can be swapped in seconds.

Might not have the same lifetime as the current battery but would allow people to bring several easily swappable replacement batteries for a much longer total run time.

Shouldn't be too difficult to develop such an add-on.

Alternatively, with a huge lid like the 17" MBP has someone should look into snap-on solar panels that plug right into the MagSafe port.
    Might not fully charge it while working but might be able to extend the battery life by another hour or two.

4. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

5. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

There was nothing in the manual, I'm guessing with the new technology they have you don't.

6. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

say what? :confused:

7. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

There was nothing in the manual that says anything about battery calibration. The battery in the 17" in new and has some cool tech behind it, I'm guessing that battery calibration is a thing of the past.

8. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

No, whats clearly going on is Apple wants the battery life to end as quick as possible since its got "1000 charges" and so you have to pay for it to be replaced by an Apple authorised retailer or service person

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

But is there really a market for it? What percentage of 17" users do you think would actually go out and use this? It may not be difficult, but is there a product audience that would warrant developing this? I just don't see it happening...

10. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

Um, no. Go watch the video on their site about the new battery. The new Adaptive Charging is pretty cool.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/17inch-battery/
    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

11. bartelby macrumors Core

Do you know how long it'll take for the average user to rack up 1000 charges?

12. yegon macrumors 68020

It's a 1000 cycles. Big difference.

Before I bought my new 15" MBP I had an 3 y/o Macbook. Absolutely hammered it for almost 3 years, over 500 cycles and 98% battery health when I sold it. Point being, unless you're unlucky, batteries should be fine for years and there's no reason the one in the 17" will be any different.

Being swappable on the go, that's an entirely different debate.

13. Ploki macrumors 68020

i have 16 cycles on my mbp and its 3months old :D

14. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

and a cycle is a complete 0-100 recharge, if you recharge from 80% to 100% that's only 1/5 of a cycle.

15. JtheLemur macrumors 6502

I'd still calibrate the battery. Why not, it's not exactly an involved process, you can do it in one night. Couldn't hurt. ;)

16. ayasin macrumors 6502

As others have pointed out it's charge cycles, not charges. I've had my MBP since early Nov 2007. It's used heavily both on and off charger. It currently has 47 cycles on it. 1000 cycles will last longer than the useful life of the laptop as far as I'm concerned.