17" Unibody, bootcamp, what gfx drivers should I be using?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simonpickard, Mar 19, 2009.

1. simonpickard macrumors regular

Hello all,

So I installed Vista64 under bootcamp and it's all working fine. I went to Nvidia.com and downloaded the latest laptop drivers and installed.

When I run CineBench I'm getting an Opengl score of 4329 which seemed a bit low. I checked online and reviews are getting 5,452 for CineBench R10 with the 9600GT card.

Just wondering why there's such a difference?

Should I be using these drivers? Are they the fastest ones out there? Or should I be using different ones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Simon

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You should just install the drivers that came with your 17" Unibody from the bootcamp DVD (OS X install DVD) and then update Windows by running Windows Update from your programs menu.

3. simonpickard thread starter macrumors regular

Arhh ok so the latest drivers from Nvidia are not the best?
    Many thanks,
    I'll give that a go tonight.

Regards,
    Simon

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I actually find nVidia dont post the latest drivers on their site, because they dont update their support section very often, but there are other factors that will affect your Cinebench score, drivers wont make a massive difference. The fact your running vista will be the biggest difference, if you erased it and installed XP or Windows 7 im sure you'd be getting 5,400 on CineBench with the 9600GT easily. The reasons are long and boring but basically Vista's a resource hog and slow and cluttered, and not ideal for gaming, although it isn't bad for other things.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That and I also run into more trouble running the drivers NOT from Apple for some reason. Also, don't find the point to update unless there's a serious problem but it runs the game(s) I want it to run fine so really no need to update the drivers.