17" Unibody hard drive rubbing on case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yesman, May 11, 2009.

1. yesman macrumors newbie

I just got my MBP 17" and its wonderful. Just to answer future questions I have the glossy screen and love it.
    Hard drive- 7200 rpm (unknown manufacturer)
    Okay so the problem is that I lifted my computer up and i heard a screeching sound where the hard drive is. Like the disk was spinning against another metal object. This only happens when i lift the computer slightly fast or am going up the stairs. I know this isn't normal. Does anyone else's computer do this? Should I return my computer?

2. The General macrumors 601

Are you sure there isn't a CD or DVD in the optical drive when you hear that sound? That seems more likely than the harddrive making that sound.

3. yesman thread starter macrumors newbie

If I were looking at the screen, the mid to top left side of the computer. That's where the sound is coming from. The left side is where the CD/DVD drive is. That is mainly quiet until I wake it up or sleep the computer.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

That's the fan. The HDD is under your right palmrest. The fan shouldn't be in contact with anything, but by the same token if it only does that when you move the computer while it's running, Apple probably won't do anything on the grounds that the manual specifically tells you NOT to do that. (and for good reason).

If, however, your fan(s) are making other funny noises, you should take it in and have it looked at. The two fans are roughly around the Q and T keys, respectively. There should be almost no noise from there when your machine is idle aside from a very quiet, high-pitched hum. You should only be able to hear it if the room is quiet, or if you put your ear to the keyboard.

5. yesman thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I'm going to make some immature sounds to try and describe the sound. It's like a chhhch chhhch silence... chhhch. The sound is definitely coming from the top left area. I can hear it when the room is quiet. Should I be able to feel a vibration around the whole base? It's not a strong vibration but it lets you know it there.

Any suggestions? Becuase I didn't spend $3k for a defective machine.