17" Unibody MacBook Pro Bluish Screen, Need a Profile Calibration from a Professional

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thiagos, Mar 30, 2009.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. It turns out that the 17" Unibody MacBook Pro I got has the bluish tint on the screen. I was wondering if a professional could give me the calibration file so the screen would be similar to the other LED panel.

E-mail: thiago824@msn.com

Thanks

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Post your screen model (go to system preferences --> Displays --> Color --> Color LCD -->Open Profile --> MMOD) and post what it says under model. It should be something like "00009C81" and we only don't need the zeros. Chances are someone already has a profile for your panel made with a hardware calibration device.

Actually, search for it before you post it here, and you might find a profile.

Also, you should never post your email address in plaintext anywhere on the internet or it will be harvested by spammers. You could at least obfuscate it some, like example AT example.com Many people use the Private Message (PM) feature of the forum instead of posting an email address.

3. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

Thanks for getting back with me, my screen model is 00009C98

As for the e-mail address, I don't use that address often...
    Thanks again

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Here's a thread with lots of choices, though I'm not sure if any are professional (hardware-calibrated) AND done specifically for the the 9C98.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=669531

This one, which I found in a link from that thread is done with hardware calibration, and it is for a glossy UMBP panel, but I can't tell what display the poster has.

Try searching for 9C98 Profile and see if you find anything else.

You can use a profile for the wrong panel, and it might be better than the default one, but it probably won't be perfect. If you are trying to match another LCD, you might have to calibrate both of them yourself with the same calibration equipment. If you don't need it to be perfect, you could try manually calibrating it, which is really hard to get right, but maybe not so bad if you have another LCD next to it for reference.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you don't have a calibrator, you obviously don't need spot-on colour accuracy for everything you see on your screen, nor would you be able to tell anyway. ;) More often than not, there is no right and wrong colours.

I think if you find a profile that's good for you, just use it. Besides, calibration varies depending on ambient light, so the ambient light and the temperature of the light coming from lamps and ceiling lights in the room(s) you work in will affect what you see on the screen.

I think the reason most people complain about screens being too blue is because screens tend to be warm by default. Americans like warmer tones while countries like Japan actually like a bit more blue in their images. Well, that was the explanation for the differences people saw using film from different brands.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

My MBP and Cinema Display are waaaayyy too cool out of the box. A quick tuneup with my Spyder and i'm back in the game.

7. Arno Nimm macrumors newbie

Laptop Display Calibration myths

It’s encouraging to read all the discussions on Apple Laptop Display quality, calibrations, glossy V. matt, etc. However, there are obviously an awful lot of misconceptions around. I’d like to put something straight. The fact is that although Apple laptop displays are good compared to those from other manufacturers, they are just not good enough for professional colour correction. When I say professional, I do not mean the inflationally applied, and highly euphemistic term, used today.

Laptop displays are calibratable, but only to a limited extent - that’s a fact! I don’t care what may claim. All you can do is optimise - ergo, get the best possible calibration out of your particular display. The result will not nearly approach the colour accuracy of one of the better EIZO desktop displays.

The new MB and MBP displays have a blue cast or at least a bluish tone which you really can’t get rid of, not even with hardware calibration devices such as Spyder. The viewing angle is still quite poor so if you look at the screen from an angle, silvers, grays appear yellowish, which means that if you are showing a friend sitting next to you something on the display he will see a colour shift. This caveat is slightly smaller on 17 inch displays though, but all-in-all this is a problem which Apple doesn’t seem to want solve.

The only workaround for professional colour correction is to hook your laptop up to a descent desktop screen at home. This means a laptop is not a very good solution for professional freelance designers who need to do colour work "on-the-road", in trains, planes or in customers offices.

I think Apple should address these problems or at least come clean instead of pretending their laptops are viable as mobile professional work stations for designers and photographers because is only partially true, but with pretty serious limitations.

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

True color calibration is a crapshoot even in the pro world. With video meant for consumer distribution you are at the mercy of TV manufacturers and the dufus at home that likes to tweak his set.

Photography is just as bad. I calibrate my monitors to match the prints from the half dozen labs I use.