17" Unibody MBP Arrive Today, Installed 500/7200.4 Seagate too!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Feb 24, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

So my 17" Unibody MBP arrived today..

No dead pixels.. everything was perfect except for one very tiny thing that doesn't make it worth returning.. there is a very very tiny microscopic chip in the unibody.. I would say its just from production during the unibody building process, not from shipping.

Its on the top right near the corner where the unibody metal connects against the black bezel. You can't see it unless you're looking from above (when notebook is open) or stare deeply at it (when the notebook lid is closed).

I deemed its not worth returning though, and im an extremely picky guy. I am just mentioning it because I was curious if anyone else has this same sort of microscopic-like chip anywhere in their Unibody?

Aside from that everything went great.. I successfully installed the Seagate 500gb 7200RPM and this is my first time ever opening up a computer on my own and installing something.

The hard drive does not vibrate and there is no noticeable sound in comparison to the 5400 RPM stock drive that was in my last year Penryn 17" MBP, which works flawlessly as well.

One thing I would like to ask is, when i screwed the bottom back in, one or two screws didnt go in exactly the same way as I took them out, even though I put them in the same holes for sure. 8 of the 10 screws go below the surface, so when you rub your hand against the bottom you don't feel them (just like it was when received and bottom was not opened yet), but 2 of them you can somewhat feel.. meaning they didn't go completely below the surface like it originally came as.. but they are tight and not going to come out unless I unscrew it.

Appearance wise it looks fine, just a texture feeling if your hand touches the bottom of the laptop you can feel those 2 screws a little. Is that okay and normal? I tried screwing and unscrewing it many times and got the same results. It doesn't bother me, but was just curious if its normal since its my first time installing.

Thanks!

2. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

3. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont even know how to do a benchmark, I seen them on this forum tho.. LOL

The lil chip is not something I think worth even taking a photo of to worry anyone, just curious if anyone else has had noticed something similar in theirs anywhere on their unibody (doesnt matter if its 13, 15, or 17-inch).

I also only have a iphone camera at the moment or I wouldn't have mind doing so.. probably wont even be visible with that camera LOL

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You got a browser and some digits, right?
    Go google "mac benchmark" :rolleyes:

5. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

But i never requested to learn about benchmarks LOL.. my questions are on the original post.

6. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

If the chip is microscopic, it would be invisible to the naked eye, without the use of a microscope. Hence, MICROSCOPIC. AND "tiny microscopic" is redundant.

Sorry, I'm being a dick today. hahaha!

I too have a small surface chip out of the box on my 15". I feel your pain, but I forgot all about it until I read this thread. You'll forget it's there soon enough.

7. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know what microscopic is. I just wanted readers to realize this thing was super duper tiny and minimize any major concerns over it. I'd say it's closer to microscopic than small in size :).

8. volcom883 macrumors regular

volcom883

amitdoc2b,
    i bet although you dont care about that microscopic chip you gonna think about it everytime you switch on your computer! ahahah..

9. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

i actually thought i would because it stood out to me instantly yesterday.. but today i was looking for it and it took me forever to even find it.. i think ill probably look for it a few more times and when i dont find it will eventually not even remember it.

10. harry454 macrumors 6502

Nice buy! Mind posting photo of the chip if the camera can catch it?

11. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

I think these chips are caused by the machine arms handling these notebooks. The best thing for Apple is to make sure that the ends of these arms are well covered with rubber so their artful machine do not get things chips and dings.

Sorry OP that you got one of these and it will drive you crazy no matter how much you try to forget it :eek:

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Man sorry to hear about the chip/dent, I remember my first 15" unibody mbp had that small chip but it bothered me enough to return it but if your ok with it then congrats!

13. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nah.. if it was a big deal to me I would have attempted to return it by now. But thanks for the info about the mechanical handling. Anyone have info about my question about the screws?

14. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

If you check the pdf manual from Apple, it shows the length of each screw in each position (some are long, medium, or short)...

My advice is to take them all out again (but remember where you had them) and then check to see that they are the right lengths for each hole. Also, if you don't have a screw perfectly centered, it might not fit in perfectly.

Attached Files:

15. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the right screws in the right holes because I made a little diagram and put the screw in that diagram according to where I took them out from..

Yes, two of them are not perfectly centered back in but they don't look awkward or anything and are nicely/tightly put back in.. just that they are not recessed and you can feel them by rubbing your hand on the bottom surface of the case with your eyes closed (you can't feel the other 8). You couldn't feel all 10 of them before opening the case up.

16. MP2008AUS macrumors newbie

Issue with Momentus 7200.4 500GB Drive

Hi,

I'm yet to find anyone with this same issue, but I'll share it just so someone doesn't have the same troubleshooting hassle I did.

A couple of weeks ago I got a Seagate 7200.4 500GB 7200rpm drive (G-Force version) in anticipation of my UMBP 17 inch. In the meantime though I thought I'd install it in my 15inch UMBP. I did this at work and just did a straight mirror (not using Migration assistant, which usually works) to the new drive. I then installed it into my laptop. For the first hour or so it worked, but then completely froze, just the rainbow wheel going around. I turned it off and back on several times, each time freezing within three minutes of startup.

That evening I came home and it appeared to be fine, but I thought I'd run a recovery and then use the migration assistant to bring across everything instead of a straight mirror. This worked and I used my computer for the entire next day from home with no issue.

Next day went back into the office and exactly the same problem, freezing within three minutes. I unplugged all accessories from it, left it up on it's little stand (so it's level with my LED cinema display) to see if removing all the cables solved the problem. No, it didn't.

Might I note, that by putting in my old hard drive everything worked as it should at home and at work.

After then reloading to the 500GB completely from scratch, re-installing apps etc. it again worked at home, no problem. Took it into work, freezing again, without even being plugged in.

it then dawned on me that the only thing that was different between home and work was that at work I have it up on a stand (http://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand.html) which keeps the laptop on a tilt of about 40 degrees. I took my laptop off this stand and sat it flat on my desk and voila! it worked perfectly.

So it would seem that this hard drive will freeze after 3 minutes or so if it's running on an angle of about 40 or 45 degrees. Now I'm not sure if this is a completely faulty drive, or something to do with the G-Force feature but in any event I've ordered the non G-Force drive to replace it. Until then I'll just keep it on a level surface.

Apologies for the long post, but if it saves one person having to reload their computer three times and waste hours of their time.

17. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

It didn't apply to me but its nice of you to share this info. I have the non-Gforce version and so far so good. It just may be thinking its on a decline or drop being slanted with the G-force in it?