17" Unibody MBP glossy screen same as old?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darkus, Feb 16, 2009.

1. darkus macrumors regular

Is the new unibody 17" MBP the same glossy material as the old screen or is it the new high gloss reflective surface found in the new 15" unibody MBP?

Anyone that has seen the new MBP I would really appreciate your comments on this! Im ordering one tonight and am trying to decide on a screen, I love the old/current glossy screen, but the new glossy screen on the 15" MBP is too much for me so in that case i'd probably go for matte.

Thanks! :apple:

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

new high gloss.

Now the entire line (except the Air).

I like the matte but I find the glass cover offers quite a bit of protection and along with the rigid structure of the unibody makes for a solid build which is especially useful in the large 17 inch form.

3. mac-menace macrumors newbie

It's the new high gloss reflective surface found in the new 15" unibody MBP.

I recommend matte.

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

They are very reflective. It's noticeable when you watch movies or when the screen is dark.

Most applications have a light background and with indoor lighting conditions you don't see reflections. But with dark backgrounds even indoor regular lighting can cause noticeable reflections.

I use a regular Macbook unibody and it hasn't bothered me ...yet.
    But I haven't tried it outdoors (weather) and i have a feeling it's gonna be an issue.

it's a trade off i'm willing to take as I like the structural aspect (as I stated in the post above)

Whatever

5. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

It's GLASS, just like the 15" unibody. I don't know why people are saying "high gloss" as if they clear coat it or something, it's just regular glass.

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

Actually "high gloss" vs " Regular gloss" is more descriptive and informative.

The fact that it's glass is not the issue. As with CRT's it doesn't necessarily mean glossy if it has a anti-glare coating..

so ...there :D

7. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

There's only one version though, glass. The older screens weren't glass and the matte version isn't glass, so it's just glass vs. matte, not high gloss vs glossy vs matte. If apple coated their glass then it would be a different story.

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

You win :mad: