17" unibody MBP temps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apersianboyCOM, Mar 14, 2009.

1. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

When my MBP is idle and running firefox its usually doing 55-60C is that normal?

When burning a DVD using Toast with SMC control 1.2 set to highest RPM it does around 60-70C... is that normal?

bear in mind this is my first Mac!

2. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I have my fans set at 2.5k rpm, only 500rpm higher than the baseline off 2k.

According to iStat pro, running firefox and spotify, my CPU is at 44C and 9600 GPU at 38C.

Your 55c+ temps for idle are quite high... Are you placing it on a desk or elsewhere?

3. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Well running Firefox really isn't too "idle" if you get what I mean. It still has lots of things to run, especially with more tabs open.

4. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

Which is more accurate? istat or smcfancontrol?

What is the normal range of temperatures?

I have it on a wooden desk all the time.

5. b348xyx macrumors member

6. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Because 60° isn't normal for idle? Sure a CPU can take 90°, but I think you would be worried if your computer would be hitting 85° or so on idle.

7. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

mine at first were seemingly high for a notebook that was just running firefox, and itunes.

cranked the brightness to just the 2nd notch and the keys were not lighted, i have it on a notebook cooler, but it seems that witht hese new notebooks that the heat dissipates better off a cooler than with fans blowing towards it.

here is my numbers as of today;
    all temps in Fahrenheit

idle (earlier this morning)
    [​IMG]

as of now:

[​IMG]

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It can be normal especially if you have a lot of moitoring software installed. if your temps are idleing at 85 deg c that usually means your heatsink is clogged with dust.

my system idles at 29 deg c with nothing opened or 50 deg c with programs running. does that mean somethings wrong? during work I can push my temps at 100 deg c stable with fans at 2300 rpm auto and my system will be fine