Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Wow I can already tell the 60% more color gamut from the 17" mbp just from this picture alone.

IMG_7410.jpg

Man after reading this review I'm so tempted for the 17" unibody mbp with matte display.

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
kensington lock slot?

Is there a lock slot on the 17 inch? I didn't see in in the pictures. Is it on the other side, or did they get rid of it on the most expensive laptop? Not that I'm in the market either way, but I found it curious.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Is there a lock slot on the 17 inch? I didn't see in in the pictures. Is it on the other side, or did they get rid of it on the most expensive laptop? Not that I'm in the market either way, but I found it curious.

It's there, right next to the slot-loading DVD drive.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Thats the worst, least accurate and most subjective review i've ever read. I've got no experience writing reviews personally on computers, but im fairly sure i can do more than take a few sexy photos and write a load of garbage. Even the summary at the end is fairly meaningless, and the benchmarks? Well they just go on and on and on and on and on about the SSD drive, hey i want 15" vs 17" CPU benchmarks and GPU benchmarks etc, but maybe thats too complicated for Gizmodo.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Thats the worst, least accurate and most subjective review i've ever read. I've got no experience writing reviews personally on computers, but im fairly sure i can do more than take a few sexy photos and write a load of garbage. Even the summary at the end is fairly meaningless, and the benchmarks? Well they just go on and on and on and on and on about the SSD drive, hey i want 15" vs 17" CPU benchmarks and GPU benchmarks etc, but maybe thats too complicated for Gizmodo.

You dont normally go to places like Gizmodo or Engadget for benchmark comparisons, this sounds like a job for barefeats.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Last bit summing up said : " We just can't help but ask, why can't Apple fit a 256GB SSD or 8GB of RAM—or even a 4+ hour battery—into a 15-inch MBP?"

They neglected to add: Why can't Apple have a matte screen option to the 15"

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
After having my new 17" MBP for a week now I will have to agree with them on the Battery review portion. I get maybe 1/2 hour more out of mine. I knew better but it's still better than my old 17" MBP. My older model would only go for 2 1/2 hours before needing the charger.

apersianboyCOM

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
London, UK
After having my new 17" MBP for a week now I will have to agree with them on the Battery review portion. I get maybe 1/2 hour more out of mine. I knew better but it's still better than my old 17" MBP. My older model would only go for 2 1/2 hours before needing the charger.

I think the review sucks and don't agree with their battery life review at all. They used it for an intense program like photoshop... of course it will kill the battery sooner!

This is what it says on Apples site:
The wireless productivity test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing various websites and editing text in a word processing document with display brightness set to 50%.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea

I get 9 hours out of mine, i think Apple are using 2 brands of battery because some people are reporting more than expected, and others way way less (on the same level of usage)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

Disappointing news about the battery, no matter how subjective the review. Any 17" MBP users really happy about the new battery? Any of you see anywhere near seven or eight hours of use between charges?

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Disappointing news about the battery, no matter how subjective the review. Any 17" MBP users really happy about the new battery? Any of you see anywhere near seven or eight hours of use between charges?

as i just said i get 9 from mine, and thats doing xcode work, which is pretty intensive, and again as i said before, i think Apple are using two brands.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
I saw a Apple video last night in which Bob Mansfield said they invented their own method of making batteries , IE: they make their own , not another brand so.....

watch the vid here:
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/17inch-battery/

I know, i've seen that too.

It doesn't say they make their own batteries, it says they designed them. Apple doesn't make any components, like every company it gets another company to do the manufacturing for them. Do you think Steve Jobs made them himself? Of course Apple outsources their production, and its not possible for one company to make all the 17" Unibody batteries, it has to be more than one, in China.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
I know, i've seen that too.

It doesn't say they make their own batteries, it says they designed them. Apple doesn't make any components, like every company it gets another company to do the manufacturing for them. Do you think Steve Jobs made them himself? Of course Apple outsources their production, and its not possible for one company to make all the 17" Unibody batteries, it has to be more than one, in China.
Of course Steve and the gang sit in the garden shed an make em up , duuhh

Obviously they outsource, but they designed them so they are made to a specific design ie part a + part b + c = finished battery

...it's not like the screens where they use a different manufacturer LG Samsung or whoever , these are done to their own spec,so you can't really get much more continuity in a product than that , no matter if it's two factories or not..

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Of course Steve and the gang sit in the garden shed an make em up , duuhh

Obviously they outsource, but they designed them so they are made to a specific design ie part a + part b + c = finished battery

...it's not like the screens where they use a different manufacturer LG Samsung or whoever , these are done to their own spec,so you can't really get much more continuity in a product than that , no matter if it's two factories or not..

You'd be surprised, there actually is a big difference. Look at the different benchmarks between the SSD drives they put in the laptops and you'll see. Its the same with the 15" screens, and im willing to bet its the same with the 17" Unibody batteries.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
You'd be surprised, there actually is a big difference. Look at the different benchmarks between the SSD drives they put in the laptops and you'll see. Its the same with the 15" screens, and im willing to bet its the same with the 17" Unibody batteries.

No , you see the SSD's are manufactured by an entirely different company, and just purchased by Apple, that's all, same with the screens .

The batteries are Apples own.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Battery Life

I will keep trying a few different things to see how long I can get my battery to last with one charge.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Battery Life

I get 9 hours out of mine, i think Apple are using 2 brands of battery because some people are reporting more than expected, and others way way less (on the same level of usage)

Could you list some of the settings your using and possibly what programs you were running during that time?

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
As I expected, if a buyer expects to do meaningful tasks above candlelight dimness settings with this machine, they will not get close to the claimed battery performance.

I contemplated replacing my 15 uMBP, but I learned a while ago to be skeptical of :apple: marketing claims. I'll pass on being their 3k beta testers.

All the reviews seem positive. I am sure owners are very happy

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
As I expected, if a buyer expects to do meaningful tasks above candlelight dimness settings with this machine, they will not get close to the claimed battery performance.

I contemplated replacing my 15 uMBP, but I learned a while ago to be skeptical of :apple: marketing claims. I'll pass on being their 3k beta testers.

All the reviews seem positive. I am sure owners are very happy

Its usually the "beta testers" who get the best machines, Apples quality control seems to go down the longer a machines been in production. Look at the 15" or the Whitebook. Sometimes you have to send a whitebook back 6 times now before you get a good one (for example look at alphaod's thread)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.