17 vs. 15 inch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blairbeckwith, Aug 11, 2010.

1. blairbeckwith macrumors regular

Doesn't seem like two inches would be that much.

Does it really affect the portability that much? I really want the 17-inch, but I' be taking it pretty much everywhere with me, as a student/commuter to work.

2. circularforward macrumors 6502

If you are going to take it everywhere with you and you're thinking about the 17, look into the 15 with high resolution display.

3. Beta-guy macrumors newbie

I got the best MBP 15" with high res display, honestly I love it, I just wish Apple put Blu-ray in this machine...

4. pyramis macrumors member

17" is a pain the arse to lug around everywhere. 15" is plenty large for photo/video/anything you need a big screen for.

5. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I dunno man, my first Apple computer was a 17" PowerBook, and I miss that thing every day. I'm using a 13" MacBook. The 15 is only 2 inches bigger, and the 17 is only 2 inches bigger than that. Would 2 inches make a big deal for me on my 13"? You bet it would.

6. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I love my 17" but it sits on the desk the majority of the time...

7. davyreins macrumors 6502

I went from 13" to 15" and have really enjoyed the extra space (the high-res screen is great too) but I don't feel the need for a 17". If you are going to be transporting it a lot I would suggest the 15", but I never used the 17" so I can't speak from experience.

8. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Way back I used to carry a 17 around. I am carrying a 13 now, but my next purchase will be a 17 (next year). For what I do the extra screen real estate made my work easier. Best of luck.

9. Proph3T macrumors member

17" Core i7

I'm a student and I take my 17in everywhere wear I go. My backpack is a little heavier but the screen real estate is awesome. No matter what get the anti-glare tho