17" White vs 20" AL iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hoo03, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Hoo03 macrumors regular

Hello all! I did a search on this topic and I did not find anything similar to this so I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate topic.

I am at the initial stage looking into buying an iMac. I went to my local electronic store and checked out new 20" AL TN screen. Because I currently use a Macbook, I am used to glossy screen so 20" AL seemed fairly nice. Unfortunately they didn't have previous gen white iMac models so I did not get to visually compare it on my own.

Anyway, I noticed that some stores are clearing out the previous generation white iMac as well as refurbished model from Apple. One model that particularly interested me (at least spec and price wise) was 17" 2.0 Core 2 Duo model that was introduced September of 2006.

What I am trying to find out is some feedback from those of you that upgraded from 17" to 20" iMac. I realize the obvious in larger real estate of screen size on 20". But aside from that, how is the quality of screen on 17"? Is that TN also?

I think they're both Core 2 Duo, 2GHz, and 1GB.
    Only differences I can tell are screen size, frontside bus speed, and graphic card.

If I don't mind 17", does the new model justify $300+ in price difference in your opinion? Any suggestion or feedback would be great.

2. rainydays macrumors 6502a

IIRC the 17" has a TN panel as well. I'd highly recommend to go with the white 20" if you can find one. It has a S-IPS panel and is far superior to the new one as far as the screen goes.