1730 cycles, Replace Battery? Recs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ETL, Aug 21, 2016.

1. ETL macrumors newbie

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does the computer tell you that you need to replace the battery?

Does it not hold a charge sufficiently long enough for you?

I don't look at the charge cycles (people get way too worked up over them), but rather how the battery works in real life. I have a 2012 rMBP and I have no idea what the charge cycles are, but its giving me what I need, so I'm not looking to spend the money on replacing the battery.

As for which battery? Don't cut corners, this is one area where the knock offs are not as good as Apple. Get the genuine product and you'll be happy.

3. ETL thread starter macrumors newbie

Those are good questions, and I'm fortunate enough to say it still works well enough for me. However, after learning of some extreme examples of battery failures, I wanted to stay on the safe side and get another opinion.

Thanks for the battery rec. I'm not looking to cut corners really. I just note that the NT should be newer, has a larger capacity, and is less expensive if I install it myself, vs. paying for more for an older, 'smaller' battery, with a service fee and wait period.

I guess one more question I have is will the Apple store still service my battery if I've done some personal upgrades? SSD, and ram.

4. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

RAM is fine, as there are instructions on apple.com about how to replace RAM. I'm not sure about the HD though. If you have the original HD, put it back in before taking it in.

I have a battery that has over 1200 cycles on it in a normal state. I inspect it every once in a while to make sure it's not expanding.

If you don't want to take a chance, replace the battery. But it you don't care, if it works, I wouldn't replace it but do keep an eye one it.

5. CrownVic macrumors regular

CrownVic

Quick question... I just got my first Macbook Pro and I was wondering how you checked the battery cycles?

6. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

About this Mac>System report>Power
    Look under health information

7. ETL thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Yeah, most techs wont care. I had taken my white macbook with RAM Upgrades, SSD & 2nd HDD caddy in the CD/DVD drive and they changed the battery no problem. He even offered to put in a screw I had misplaced when doing the mods.

9. ETL thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input Crzyrio! I appreciate it.