Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Does anyone know how to check ATT upgrade eligibility for the traditional subsidized upgrade? Everything I do only says "You are able to be ripped off by ATT next today for 0 down!" I may be paraphrasing there.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Does anyone know how to check ATT upgrade eligibility for the traditional subsidized upgrade? Everything I do only says "You are able to be ripped off by ATT next today for 0 down!" I may be paraphrasing there.
Before I switched to Next, there was a "Check Upgrade Eligibility" link for each phone on my account. If those are gone, I guess you could call.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just go on their site and check your account - its right there.

Failing that, call them.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Every Check eligibility button I click says I am eligible for Next. That is sort of the problem. Didn't know if anyone knew of some back door. They are really pushing Next.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Every Check eligibility button I click says I am eligible for Next. That is sort of the problem. Didn't know if anyone knew of some back door. They are really pushing Next.

After checking all six of my line say the same NEXT CRAP.

I always buy outright anyway with no contract, so it does not matter.

Last edited:

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
From the upgrade page, click "Upgrade now" on the line you want to upgrade, and it will show you each line's status. All of your lines are probably eligible for AT&T Next, but the wording is slightly different if you are eligible for a standard upgrade. It will read: "Congratulations! You are eligible for an AT&T Next installment plan upgrade. Or, get a standard upgrade today with a 2-year service agreement and a $36 upgrade fee."

If it only says that you're eligible for AT&T Next with $0 down, you are not eligible at this time. For more detailed information, check the line you want to look at and click upgrade now. It will take you to the store and show your current phone, and next to it there should be a small line of text that reads "Eligible for upgrade discount on <date you are eligible>."

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Before I switched to Next, there was a "Check Upgrade Eligibility" link for each phone on my account. If those are gone, I guess you could call.

Just go on their site and check your account - its right there.

Failing that, call them.

Have you checked your account latley as all of mine are showing the same thing.

Looks like upgrade discounts might be a think of the past!

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
The next is actually cheaper than the traditional subsidized plan...

Next: Cost of the phone ($650) + $36 activation fee spread over a period of time with option to pay off early= $686

Traditional: $199 up front + $36 activation + $25 per month for 20 months (is it 20 or 24 now?)= $835

Someone correct me on my math but from what I have seen on the macrumors and other various tech websites its really not a bad deal now that AT&T reduced the price of having a phone off contract

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
From the upgrade page, click "Upgrade now" on the line you want to upgrade, and it will show you each line's status. All of your lines are probably eligible for AT&T Next, but the wording is slightly different if you are eligible for a standard upgrade. It will read: "Congratulations! You are eligible for an AT&T Next installment plan upgrade. Or, get a standard upgrade today with a 2-year service agreement and a $36 upgrade fee."

If it only says that you're eligible for AT&T Next with $0 down, you are not eligible at this time. For more detailed information, check the line you want to look at and click upgrade now. It will take you to the store and show your current phone, and next to it there should be a small line of text that reads "Eligible for upgrade discount on <date you are eligible>."

Ok so I see the difference in the wording now, but I still can't find that date. Would you be so kind as to give more detailed instructions?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Next: Cost of the phone ($650) + $36 activation fee spread over a period of time with option to pay off early= $686

Traditional: $199 up front + $36 activation + $25 per month for 20 months (is it 20 or 24 now?)= $835

Someone correct me on my math but from what I have seen on the macrumors and other various tech websites its really not a bad deal now that AT&T reduced the price of having a phone off contract

What about people who want to upgrade and save money by signing another contract? It looks like AT&T is removing that option.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas

My understanding is that there's no activation fee on Next. It's purely the full price of the phone plus any tax.

b1llj0hn

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2014

Not a direct way through ATT, but if you check out Apple's website and check your upgrade eligibility there, it'll tell you. I ran into this problem two days ago.

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
On the main Account Overview page after logging into the AT&T site, click on the "Upgrade now" link. You should see the message about being eligible for a Next Upgrade. I think the page header on this page is "AT&T Upgrader".

There should be a "Back to myAT&T" link on the right hand side of the page. Click it.

Once back on the AT&T Account Overview page, you should now see the eligibility date appear just below the picture of your phone and to the left of the current usage for the billing cycle. Mine currently indicates 9/15/2014.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans

$25 per month for what?
Im trying to understand it, because Im not seeing this charge on my bill. So if I end up buying a phone at full value from Apple, my ATT bill will be lower?

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
My understanding is that there's no activation fee on Next. It's purely the full price of the phone plus any tax.

You pay the text for the phone up front and Next is for the actual price of the phone. I signed my wife and daughter along w/ myself back in Feb for Next and had to pay the taxes up front.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Ok so I see the difference in the wording now, but I still can't find that date. Would you be so kind as to give more detailed instructions?

If there's no date, the line may be eligible for an upgrade. I tried taking some screenshots but my Mac won't let me upload them for some reason.

1) Log in to myAT&T. You should see all of your lines listed with their phone number and a thumbnail showing the phone used on that line. Click upgrade now.
2) You should be on a screen that says "Upgrade Your Device". Here is where you can see if your line is eligible for an upgrade. Look for the altered wording that I included in my other post.
3) To find your upgrade eligibility date, tick the checkbox for the line you want to upgrade. You are now in the AT&T online shop.
4) It should show "<name>'s device" followed by your phone number and the name of the device you're using. If you are eligible for a standard upgrade, no date will be listed. If you are not eligible, it will also list your upgrade eligibility date in the same spot.

The prices shown in the AT&T shop are exactly what you would be paying. If it is showing you the standard pricing ($199 for an iPhone 5s) then you are eligible. Otherwise it will list the full price ($649 for a 5s).

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

a little off... no activation fee with NEXT, only sales tax at the time of purchase.

$25 per month for what?
Im trying to understand it, because Im not seeing this charge on my bill. So if I end up buying a phone at full value from Apple, my ATT bill will be lower?

on the mobile share plans, you save $$ per month if you finance through NEXT or BYOD (bring your own device) / buy outright. For the 10GB and higher plans, that equates to a $25/month "savings". So if I were to buy a subsidized phone (and get locked into a 2-year contract like what the OP wants), I would pay $40/month for my line instead of $15/line... see attached screenshot from my billing page on wireless.att.com

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 266

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
Ok so my math was a bit off but still, that means it is even cheaper to go through next rather than use the traditional method.

The $25 a month is just a service "charge"

I plan on buying my next iPhone using the next. Just put down $200 when I get the phone and finance the last $450+tax. That should end up with me paying the phone off a bit early too.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I plan on buying my next iPhone using the next. Just put down $200 when I get the phone and finance the last $450+tax. That should end up with me paying the phone off a bit early too.
I don't think you can put in a downpayment. Just use the $200 to pay off the device at month 14 or something.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Not a direct way through ATT, but if you check out Apple's website and check your upgrade eligibility there, it'll tell you. I ran into this problem two days ago.

Thank you all for the replies. I think this is definitely the easiest way to find it for me at least. If anyone is curious, I am eligible on Sept 15th.

Also, I will retract my "ripped off" statement due to me being too lazy right now to do the math. I will crunch the numbers closer to the iphone 6 release. I am in a somewhat unique situation, because I have unlimited data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.