Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I have had multiple customer complaints about this now.

A couple either have or are sending back for refund replacement.

Sadly, there is nothing we can do.

The issue is with 10.9.3, with either version of drivers.

U[pper DVI port goes dead. Try 10.8.5, all is good again.

I have looked at monitor definition tables, all good. Same as 2GB version of same card.

Even more confusing, our GTX770 4GB EFI has all 4 ports working. Same card with higher clocks and different Device id. Only changes.

So, there is some buggered up nonsense in drivers which tracks to device id and RAM quantity.

I can tell you this, the primary difference between OSX and Windows roms and drivers at this point is how monitors are defined. If I didn't know better I would guess that Nvidia is writing drivers on Hackintoshes instead of real Macs. An EFI card requires different monitor definitions than a PC BIOS card.

With each driver iteration there have been these same errors. The GT640 EFI cards are crippled down to 1 display.

Last edited:

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
How it is affecting the Displayport interfaces on the cards, or is it just the DVI interfaces being affected.

I am using a Zotac 680 4Gb that flashed, but feed my monitor via the DP port. Am on 10.9.3 and not had any issues, however when on DVI then my monitor isn't identifed correctly hence why use the Display Port to connect.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
How it is affecting the Displayport interfaces on the cards, or is it just the DVI interfaces being affected.

I am using a Zotac 680 4Gb that flashed, but feed my monitor via the DP port. Am on 10.9.3 and not had any issues, however when on DVI then my monitor isn't identifed correctly hence why use the Display Port to connect.

I went to add a second monitor to my GTX680 4GB by MacVidCards and discovered the upper DVI port was not working. I am pretty sure this was after the OS X upgrade, I never tested it before. So, I then connected the second monitor to the DisplayPort and it has been working fine under Mavericks.

I have a 27" Dell on the DVI interface, and a 24" NEC on the DisplayPort interface. Both are behaving normally.

-howard

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
I believe that this is a 10.9.3 issue generally with Mac Pros using external monitors. I have had my 3,1 with an unflashed GTX660 connected to two monitors, one Panasonic through the dvi-vga adapter and the other a Pioneer 60" through an hdmi. The Pioneer is fine, no problem, but I am left with only 4:3 ratio resolution for the Panasonic. There was no problem with 10.9.2, so the problem must have come with 10.9.3.

I've tried flashing the PRAM, I've downloaded a different driver. I tried plugging it into the old video card. This is more frustrating because it recognizes the Pioneer as 1080p.

Any suggestions on how to get back a 16:9 resolution on the dvi-vga monitor?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
just discovered that Zotac 680 4GB isn't affected.

This is most likely due to the fact that Zotac used the same PCB as the reference 2GB card that Mac one is based on.

Most other 4GB cards use a redesigned, larger board.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
With each OS having its own driver set, I'm curious if the same issue exists in 10.10. Has anyone tried it?

I'm still back on ML, which is working great.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008

This is most likely due to the fact that Zotac used the same PCB as the reference 2GB card that Mac one is based on.

I believe that my 2GB EVGA card is the same physical PCB as the Mac device. I've lost a DVI port on it as well.

It's 02G-P4-2680-KR if that helps at all.

Last edited:

nox-uk

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2012

Woohoo, I went with a Zotac :)

Nox

gatd

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
10.9.4 same problem
only way to fix was to install the nvidia extensions from 10.9.2

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
GT640 issue solved !!!

We introduced Gt640 with EFI during 10.8.3 days.

Cards worked perfectly up through 10.9.2

In 10.9.3 a nasty surprise happened, they suddenly had 2 ghost monitors and only 1 functional port.

I enlisted the assistance of my friend in Russia and we got to the bottom of it. (Had a hint from elsewhere as well)

Anyhow, any and all past customers can have free update, please contact us via website. You will need Ebay or website sales number. Will require return and reflash for most.

Back to running 3 displays, tested in 10.9.4 and 10.10 DP5.

I apologize to all of the patient people who's nifty triple display single slot no-power-needed cards become crippled by 10.9.3.

Not sure why the driver change happened or who made the BIOS error, but we have figured it out. (BIOS error existed in part of rom we DON'T usually fiddle with)

As usual, thanks to our Green friends in San Jose who keep writing drivers for us even though Apple has shoved them out of the nMP party (for now)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-10 at 1.40.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-10 at 1.40.01 AM.png
    514.6 KB · Views: 456

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I have started work on GTX680 4GB.

The problem isn't as easy as 640.

I will continue trying, but issue may be with drivers more so than BIOS.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
GTX680 4GB issue solved !!!!

Hey guys, really proud to say we solved it.

And just in time, the issue continues into Yosemite.

Sadly, just yesterday we shipped some DP to DVI and HDMI to DVI adapters to an unhappy customer who couldn't use 2nd DVI port as intended.

We have been closing down for a 1 week vacation and yesterday it was sticking in my craw that I couldn't get to the bottom of this for GTX680 4GB.

So I did what I have to do to solve things, I became an obsessive nut job until I fixed it.

So, we now have a GTX680 4GB rom that re-enables upper DVI port after boot. Until now, it would work during EFI boot but quit once it reached desktop.

We have a fixed rom ready. All future GTX680 cards will have this fix. All prior US customers are eligible for FREE update. (Will have to explore international options) I only ask that everyone waits until we re-open after holiday. The remaining roomie isn't in the biz and won't be doing any work while we are away.

Please contact us through however you bought card, not through here. We also have a website now which has a contact form.

Hope everyone is having a good summer, I know I will be able to relax a little more easily knowing I solved this.

Reactions: ImaginationMan

ImaginationMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
GTX680 4GB issue solved !!!!

Hey guys, really proud to say we solved it.

And just in time, the issue continues into Yosemite.

Sadly, just yesterday we shipped some DP to DVI and HDMI to DVI adapters to an unhappy customer who couldn't use 2nd DVI port as intended.

We have been closing down for a 1 week vacation and yesterday it was sticking in my craw that I couldn't get to the bottom of this for GTX680 4GB.

So I did what I have to do to solve things, I became an obsessive nut job until I fixed it.

So, we now have a GTX680 4GB rom that re-enables upper DVI port after boot. Until now, it would work during EFI boot but quit once it reached desktop.

We have a fixed rom ready. All future GTX680 cards will have this fix. All prior US customers are eligible for FREE update. (Will have to explore international options) I only ask that everyone waits until we re-open after holiday. The remaining roomie isn't in the biz and won't be doing any work while we are away.

Please contact us through however you bought card, not through here. We also have a website now which has a contact form.

Hope everyone is having a good summer, I know I will be able to relax a little more easily knowing I solved this.

I am glad you have solved this problem. How can I go about getting the fix for this problem? My upper DVI port isn't working on my MacPro system either. Lower DVI and HDMI are fine. Just the upper DVI isn't working. I'm using 10.10.5 Yosemite.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I am glad you have solved this problem. How can I go about getting the fix for this problem? My upper DVI port isn't working on my MacPro system either. Lower DVI and HDMI are fine. Just the upper DVI isn't working. I'm using 10.10.5 Yosemite.

Flash in Fl0r!an's ROM posted somewhere in the 4GB thread. It fixes the upper DVI port.

JMVB

macrumors regular
May 16, 2016
Really? come on man, do a search yourself

http://***************.com/?q=gtx+680+4gb+macrumors

rev2600

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Alameda, CA
Anyone know if a 2GB ROM exists with the DVI port fix? I can only seem to find the 4GB...

I have the same issue with my MP3,1 on Mojave 10.14.6 (w/ dosdude patch). OS only detects 1 display when 2 are plugged in.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.