Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jktay791

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
I updated to the Yosemite Beta today and have a constant popup on my desktop that says "To view this web content, you need to install the Java Runtime Environmnet." I have downloaded and installed the latest JRE from Java but the pop up keeps coming back every 5 seconds and I'm about to throw my macbook through a window. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 6.05.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 6.05.12 PM.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,778

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I updated to the Yosemite Beta today and have a constant popup on my desktop that says "To view this web content, you need to install the Java Runtime Environmnet." I have downloaded and installed the latest JRE from Java but the pop up keeps coming back every 5 seconds and I'm about to throw my macbook through a window. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I wish I could help but I haven't encountered this problem after installing the beta today. What Mac do you have?

jktay791

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) with a 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i7 and 8 GB of memory.

wallydavid

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012

woode

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
I'm having the same issue, and I'm noticing it after my screen sleeps and I have to log back in, but at other times too.

I don't want to install the JRE, because I don't know what's kicking off this message. That's the question for me: what is trying to run?

myevilclone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2013
I've been having the same issue. Even after updating it to Java 8, it still shows the popup. Don't know what it could be. Sent in Feedback Issue.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I uninstalled Java and then went to Oracle's website and installed the version they recommended. No change. Still getting that message.

sgoldenb

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2014
what shows if you type java on the terminal? Does it show that Java 8 is installed? Does Java 8 shows installed in the Java System Settings?

sgoldenb

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2014
check from the terminal; if the terminal does not see JAVA means it is not fully installed. When I installed the JRE everythign looks installed but did not showed installed on the terminal. when I installed the JDK java listed in the terminal

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
check from the terminal; if the terminal does not see JAVA means it is not fully installed. When I installed the JRE everythign looks installed but did not showed installed on the terminal. when I installed the JDK java listed in the terminal

It see's it in terminal, but since this is an intermittent problem, I will wait and see.

mozTom

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2007
I was getting this popup too, and I also get high CPU load from windowserver ONLY WHILE IN SCREENSAVER MODE. I just hear the fans whirr up and such. I was looking at console log because of one MacWorld post:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163410/bugs_and_fixes_when_os_x_lion_slows_to_a_crawl.html

I saw that windowserver was getting the request to set something foreground, for installing java. I looked at the timestamp and thought, what else happens at that time, which would throw the java installer? Well! com.facebook.videochat.Tom.updater was running! I had my culprit, and so I searched duckduckgo for com facebook videochat updater os x. And up came this: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...ebook-video-chat-plugin-causing-problems.html

1. They're using Java and Java sucks.
2. Whoever built this (at least the Mac version) should be fired.

Jackpot! Facebook videochat updater uses Java! That's what's running periodically. So...

Also, I was looking through different forums last night and came across one forum, where a guy advised to use launchctl remove function to get rid of the problem. I've tried to follow the instructions, and it seems to work, well at least I haven't experienced this problem for now. I'll keep you updated if I do.

I don't know the service (well, I mentioned it above, but maybe there's others) so I did

Code:
launchctl list | grep facebook

Two results: the com.facebook.videochat.Tom.updater and com.apple.facebook.xpc, which I think is fine. so. disabling that might fix it, and hopefully will fix my fans whirring up during the screensaver.

(You NEED to do the list first since it will use your name or some variant thereof in the filename, so without doing the launchctl list you won't know it.)

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
thanks this helped me

For me it was under /Users/_myname_/Library/Application Support/Facebook and I just deleted everything in there.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Getting this message with the official Yosemite release. Just installed the JDK, let's hope that helps. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.