175US for SLC Samsung 64 GB SSD at newegg

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dollystereo, Mar 25, 2009.

1. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

2. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Is that an affiliate link you posted? Nice job disguising it, I wonder how much $$$ you'll make from this posting.

Anyway, just cause its SLC doesn't mean its that good. Its specs are pretty much the same as MLC in terms of read/write. Its really not as good as many similarly cheap MLC options which also give you more space.

3. dollystereo thread starter macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

First, this is just the link of the page.
    Second, the SLC dont loose performance never, so the disk Is better than a MLC.
    Third: The price is super good, the 2.5 version sells for 500, and is exactly the same drive, so with a converter you can loose weight in your computer and have an excellent performance drive.

4. dollystereo thread starter macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

I am here since 2004, dont bother...

5. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Edit: On the second hand, I did a quick search and it seems the forum adds that to everyone's newegg links (at least the few I've seen). Pretty good business move on the part of the forum owners. Sorry for misunderstanding, I wasn't aware this was a forum-wide thing.

The point is that is not that good of a hard drive anyway. It is worth the price they are asking of course, but I don't think its a phenomenal deal. Yeah, SLC may have a few advantages that might be useful for extreme applications, but today's MLC drivers are good enough for everyday use and certainly even hardcore use. With many people going through computers pretty quickly (a year or two) before switching out anyway, I don't think the advantages of SLC are that significant.

For most users the speed will be the biggest noticeable difference when going SSD, and this drive does not really offer higher performance than MLC drives.