Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's rumored 12.9-inch iPad may feature an operating system that integrates OS X and iOS, according to supply chain sources speaking to Digitimes. The sources state that Apple has two 12.9-inch iPad prototypes in development, with one model being a "2-in-1 device" that utilizes elements from both operating systems while the other resembles previous iPads. The report also notes that the 12.9-inch iPad isn't expected to go into mass production until 2015.

12_9_ipad_ipad_4_mini_light-800x450.jpg
Mockup of a 12.9-inch iPad next to a fourth-generation iPad and iPad mini​

The idea of Apple combining both OS X and iOS into one platform has been a popular subject for quite some time, as both have begun to share design principles and features. Notably, J.P. Morgan analyst Mark Moskowitz predicted earlier this year that the company is working on a combo operating system which would utilize an iOS device docked to a secondary display for a full computer experience.

However, Apple executives Phil Schiller and Craig Federighi stated in a January interview with Macworld that iOS and OS X convergence is a "non-goal" for the company, with the latter saying that Apple's is focused on making best products for unique purposes. That vision was also shared by Federighi at this year's Worldwide Developer Conference, where he stated the following during the reveal of Apple's new "Continuity" features for iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite:
At Apple, we believe you should be able to use the right device for the moment. We want the transitions between these moments to be as absolutely natural and seamless as possible.
Some of the Continuity features Apple is integrating with iOS 8 and OS X include "Handoff", which allows users to start a task on one device and finish it on another. Other features include the ability for users to answer a call made to their iPhone on the Mac, and the ability for iPads and Macs to receive SMS messages from non-Apple devices. It is likely that Apple will look to build more Continuity-like features that improve cross-platform integration between iOS and OS X as opposed to working on a full-blown hybrid platform.

Apple is said to be preparing its 12.9-inch iPad for early 2015. Some rumors have claimed that the tablet will come with an ultra high-resolution display and adopt an ultra-thin chassis and narrow side bezels similar to the iPad Air and Retina iPad mini.

Article Link: Report Claims 12.9-Inch iPad May Adopt Integrated iOS/OS X Operating System

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
hahaha, just from reading the title, I said to myself "must be from Digitimes"

sure enough, it's from Digitimes.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Not going to happen. This would require a new OS version, which would frustrate devs, as iOS 8 adoption was less than straightforward for them. Not to mention that Apple has already been pushing Yosemite and iOS so much that it would make no sense to fragment the entire ecosystem with another OS.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I'm somewhat torn,while I can see apple manufacturing a bigger iPad "pro" and why not apple kills it when it comes to tablets. However, I can't see it running just the same old ios for iPad.

At the same time I can't see a touch device running any form of OSX/iOS either,so I really don't know what to think about this product.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Well we have reached OS 10.10... Maybe it's time for OS 11? Yeah.

Since it's a mix of iOS and OS X, it can be called OS XI = 11 :D

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Can't see it myself, you only have to look at Windows 8 to see how forcing a Desktop/Tablet combo OS on users will drive them away. To me the pro would perhaps have a few hardware differences like, perhaps pressure sensitive screen for the graphics guys?

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Skeptical. Federighi and Schiller had an interview earlier this year where they said that OS X and iOS were distinct systems, and although they have some similar elements, they would not be combined. I can't imagine Apple flipping course within the same year. Maybe a possibility a few years from now, but they would have been designing this new iPad at the time of the interview. It just doesn't make sense.

http://www.macworld.com/article/209...he-mac-at-30-the-mac-keeps-going-forever.html

Matt

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
"Report" "Claims". Yeah, no. Apple already said that they would not make a hybrid of the Operating Systems.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Well we have reached OS 10.10... Maybe it's time for OS 11? Yeah.

Since it's a mix of iOS and OS X, it can be called OS XI = 11 :D

OS X is called that because it is based on unix. They might go to OS 11 if they change the whole platform of the OS, but otherwise we will see OS X 10.11 next year.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
This could finally win me over from the MacBook Pro. I'd move from 15" Retina to 12.9" though, which wouldn't be that great for my interest in photography but perhaps manageable, and very much so if such a version of OS X would support external displays! That would open a wealth of possibilities for me.

Lightroom often demands higher precision than fingers when doing post-processing, and I also often miss a keyboard. Both can be solved with a normal iPad and various pretty accessories but after a year of trying, I still felt that I had to make a mental context switch each time. I'm longing for something even better, not that I'm sure how such a solution would or could work...

I think I'm right in the demography for those Microsoft Surfaces, only that Windows 8 and what I've seen of Windows 10 (seems like "Windows 8.2-but-we-got-rid-of-the-tainted-Windows-8-brand") looks so nasty and I'm so not a fan of that whole ecosystem. Also, hearing of the Windows Store app quality is like having a horror story read for you.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
I wouldn't be too much surprised by an "iOS X" hybrid OS, and I guess it would just be iPad apps in Launchpad integrated with their desktop counterparts.

Flat UI, video playback on mobile devices, full-blown mobile apps, phablet iPhones and third-party touch keyboards were also a "No-Goal" for Apple.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
"Report" "Claims". Yeah, no. Apple already said that they would not make a hybrid of the Operating Systems.
If this is true, I don't think it is about a hybrid OS, but iOS 8 exactly like on another iPad and OS X exactly like on a MacBook Pro, with no interaction between them. This could at least happen without Apple going against that philosophy (which I agree with).

It still sounds hard to believe but at least it's technically probably not that hard to pull off since OS X and iOS are both based on the same core software. No emulation layer needs to happen. Human/computer interaction-wise, is a different topic...

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Unlikely. Apple is about blurring the lines between hardware and software. Saying an iPad 'runs iOS' and wouldn't it be better if it 'ran os x' is a way of looking at it that resembles the PC era. An iPad is its software as much as its hardware. You're not supposed to think about it, just to know that you swipe to unlock your iPad, pick an app and start using it.

Also, most people said an ARM based MacBook air would be so stripped down it might as well be an iPad, presumably the iPad would be the same?

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Its BS and won't happy.. They have even kept saying so.. Just like the *start* button didn't work well on small screens in Windows CE, so will it not work here either for the dock, for example..

Anyway, the underlying OS is the same flavor, but the UI is diff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.