macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
When I run the activity monitor it displays:

Physical memory - 4gb
Memory used - 3.98gb
virtual memory - 4.29gb

It was really really slow before hand, but I did a pram reset and an SMC reset and that seems to have helped a little bit, but is this normal? Or do I just need to suck it up and upgrade to 16gb and a SSD?

Thank you for your help.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Go back to that memory screen in Activity Monitor and tell us what the memory pressure graph at the bottom looks like. It is is green like my screenshot, you have enough memory.

Also look in the CPU tab and tell us what that says.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

Physical memory - 4gb
Memory used - 3.98gb
virtual memory - 4.29gb

It was really really slow before hand, but I did a pram reset and an SMC reset and that seems to have helped a little bit, but is this normal? Or do I just need to suck it up and upgrade to 16gb and a SSD?

Thank you for your help.
If your memory pressure is low, suck it up and buy an SSD. I did that to my 15" early 2011 (got a 512GB 840 Pro) and it boots up in just 11 seconds, with instant app launching.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Lion

Lion is the best most stable OS for mbp's of early and late 2011 models for sure hands down.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Lion is the best most stable OS for mbp's of early and late 2011 models for sure hands down.
I disagree. Lion was a massive resource hog on my early-2011 15" cMBP (2.3GHz i7/16/512GB 840 Pro/1GB 6750M/AG screen).

Mountain Lion is by far the most stable. Mavericks is good, but it runs horribly slow on HDDs.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
No. No it isn't.

Mountain Lion after 10.8.3 was rock solid. Since Apple fixed most of the issues in Mavericks courtesy of 10.9.2, it's much the same. Since newer games released for OS X are requiring Mavericks, anyone with even a passing interest in that aspect will want to be on the latest. Unless you have a piece of legacy software that you absolutely need that is not compatible, there's no reason not to upgrade, especially since it won't cost you a dime.

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010

Physical memory - 4gb
Memory used - 3.98gb
virtual memory - 4.29gb

Thank you for your help.
my 17" 2011 is rock solid on Maverick

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Physical memory - 4gb
Memory used - 3.98gb
virtual memory - 4.29gb

Thank you for your help.
Check memory pressure (should be green), then check activity monitor to see what the CPU is doing. Then you can decide what you need to do.

An SSD will make a poor installation faster, if you don't care about $$$ you can do that but many issues of speed can be improved for free.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Yes

Lion was an absolute failure. It really was the vista of the OSX world. Mavericks is sooooo much better.
Mavericks is great, on the latest retina macbook pros, duh!

Mavericks on the late 17" MacBook Pro is power hog, worthless add-on apps and features geared for the social media whores, sluggish, glitchy and stupendously annoying to use.

Love you all very much.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Mavericks is great, on the latest retina macbook pros, duh!

Mavericks on the late 17" MacBook Pro is power hog, worthless add-on apps and features geared for the social media whores, sluggish, glitchy and stupendously annoying to use.

Love you all very much.
I have a 2011 13" MBP with 8BB RAM and the standard HDD.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
when you guys are done in Auckland, Unzed, can use turn the lights off please. >;)
hehe..

for what its worth, I was very impressed by both Snowy and Mountain Lion, i avoided Lion like the plauge.. such a resource hog. haven't upgraded to Mavericks yet, i am quite content atm on 10.8.5 :)

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Completely irrelevant.

WOOO WE ARE AUCKLAND BUDDIES:D
:D

But not really irrelevant, if it was as simple as Mavericks was a resource hog then equally old and powerful (or not) machines would have the same issue....

Cold enough for you?? :eek:

----------

when you guys are done in Auckland, Unzed, can use turn the lights off please. >;)
hehe..
We haven't started yet :D

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
:D

But not really irrelevant, if it was as simple as Mavericks was a resource hog then equally old and powerful (or not) machines would have the same issue....

Cold enough for you?? :eek:

----------

We haven't started yet :D

No I meant that my post was completely irrelevant;)

Your post was fine:D