17in MBP for Development - options

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by osxabsd, Jan 5, 2011.

1. osxabsd macrumors member

I have decided to get a 17in MBP because I want to do development and I feel this gives me the best screen size for development. Although I could go for a 15in MBP and use a monitor, I still want to have sufficient screen size if I am ever on the road. BTW, I think the OSX gives the best flexibility to keep one's options open for development (Java, C, C++, and Windows versions using boot camp or virtualization).

My options are

1. Buy a refurbished 17in MBP C2D.
    Adv. - This will save me significant money and for development purposes there should be sufficient processing power.
    Disadv. - Old technology, and some memory/drive upgrading will eventually be required

2. Buy a BTO 17in (or refurbished) with i7 processor. (Although the i7 does not give me much more processing power, it maximizes the processing power in light of Sandy Bridge coming shortly)
    Adv. - Keeps me relatively up-to-date
    Disadv. - Cost

3. Wait for the the upgrades rumoured to be in April of 2011.
    Adv. - Keeps me up-to-date. Unknown what other advantages are with the new MBP, but presumably some.
    Disadv. - Cost and have to wait.

I have reviewed macrumours over the last year. I know the "if you need it now buy it now" maxim. I also am aware that Sandy Bridge has some advantages over the old processors, although not necessarily enough to warrant waiting.

Any comments on what I should do?

2. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

I was kind ofin the same quandry, but after running geekbench on some C2D and i5 MBPs at my work I decided to buy the base 15" MBP. The i5/i7 are noticeably faster than the c2d. Thought the c2d is no slouch. It slays the core duo and the mobile athlons. though of course for development you dont need stupid high cpu power. Well SQL and Oracle databases can be kinda harsh in that respect, but most IDEs arent too taxing, heck I am using MAMP and komodo edit on this MBP and its no problem with entourage, photoshop, firefox and a Win XP VM running. If anything make sure to either BTO with 8gb ram, or upgrade it yourself. VMs want ram.

3. hajime macrumors 68030

For development, I recommend you to get a matte screen. Not sure if such option will be available when the new models come out few months later.

4. JustSomeDude macrumors regular

Like calaverasgrande there is a significant difference core 2 duo and i5. But it may not make a difference to you. A lot depends on what all you need to do with development and how large your projects are. On the high end, for example, Anandtech has a new benchmark that consists of compiling chromium - it takes 15 minutes while pegging all of the cores of a i7 980x at 100%. On the other hand, many people work on projects that compile quickly on c2d systems or less.

5. un.titled macrumors regular

Do developers only develop in direct sunlight?

6. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wait. Don't make decisions you might regret, even when there is only like 1-2 months left.