Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atad6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I'm looking for some buying/selling advice. I currently have a 17" Macbook Pro 2.16GHz Core Duo that I've been happy with since I've got it. I've used it as a desktop replacement and for design work. I also have a 1000H eeePC that I use to take notes at school. I was wondering if perhaps It might be a better idea to sell the 17" Macbook Pro and eee to get either a Macbook or 15" Macbook Pro. I'd like to not spend any money if possible.

If I could only afford the new Macbook would it be a worthwhile upgrade performance wise against the 17" Core Duo? I know it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. I don't need the 3d performance. I plan on using it for Lightroom, Photoshop and InDesign while hooked up to a monitor.

I was also wondering if there's anyway to estimate the current value of my 17".

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Won't be a huge upgrade in performance and definitely a downgrade in everything else.

I suggest you stick with your MBP (possibly upgrade the HD to 7200 RPM - should provide a nice boost) until it won't satisfy your need anymore and them buy something else.

atad6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
It is working fine, I just haven't kept up with benchmarks much and assume that after two years the new macbooks are at least twice as fast.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
It is working fine, I just haven't kept up with benchmarks much and assume that after two years the new macbooks are at least twice as fast.

They aren't twice as fast, maybe 20-70% faster depending on task.

Advice: don't look at benchmarks... as long as the machine satisfies your needs, there's no need to upgrade :)

BTW, my dad has the the same rev. A 17" MBP (3.3GB ram, 7200 RPM HD) which he uses for professional HD-video editing and photography and he says it works like a charm :) (He used a dual-core Power Mac G5 2.3 GHz for this before).

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Your current set up of 17" MBP and Netbook seems to be a great combination. As the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" - so I say just stick with what you've got and save your money for something else that you really need.

Cheers.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
I second keeping the MBP and just upgrading it. If you haven't upgraded your Ram, do so now. It's really inexpensive at this point (I believe you max is 2GB matched which is less than $30). You'll see a nice performance boost with a 7200 rpm hard drive as well, and you can get one @ 320GB for $90 shipped from Newegg.

In all reality that MBP should last you another three years, at least. Especially if you're just using it for basic things and occasional design work.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
They aren't twice as fast, maybe 20-70% faster depending on task.

Advice: don't look at benchmarks... as long as the machine satisfies your needs, there's no need to upgrade :)

BTW, my dad has the the same rev. A 17" MBP (3.3GB ram, 7200 RPM HD) which he uses for professional HD-video editing and photography and he says it works like a charm :) (He used a dual-core Power Mac G5 2.3 GHz for this before).

In a Core Duo or C2D? I have a CD and would love to put 3 gigs in but was always told the chip architecture can only support 2 GBs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.