Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Hey guys, is this a good deal?
It is a viewsonic 17inch with 8ms response time. It is brand new, problem is that it is only VGA. I have the current 12in powerbook, do you think this will be a good monitor? Is Viewsonic a good company? Will i be disapointed that i didn't get DVI, i mean if i pass this up, even in the future the most i can spend is 200, can i get a good DVI monitor for $200?

-please help
-offer ends soon

thank you.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Sounds like a great deal, Viewsonic by the way make great LCD's they are probably the brightest on the market, i used to have one and it is way brighter than my 17" iMac G5's screen...

Also it should have DVI, most viewsonic's do...

SHadow

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
LOL i hate you guys, i couldn't get a response from anyone so i skipped this deal. Went into OD and they had only the display model which they couldn't sell, and ppl have issues with buying online than seding recipts and all with OD, cos they are iffy on that. So o well, if it comes up again tho, i may deff grab it?

iKWICK7: Hey yah i do see that one on sale sometimes from the circulairs... idk the price but yah i just skip it cos i never really herd of westinghouse.. do you like it and all? My thing is that alot of monitors say compatible with PC.. technically that means personal computers, ppl usually use it for windows tho..does it really matter?

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
i4k20c said:
iKWICK7: Hey yah i do see that one on sale sometimes from the circulairs... idk the price but yah i just skip it cos i never really herd of westinghouse.. do you like it and all? My thing is that alot of monitors say compatible with PC.. technically that means personal computers, ppl usually use it for windows tho..does it really matter?

No. As long as the monitor has a VGI or DVI input, it will work on a mac. It may come with extra software that you obviously can't install, but I have yet to feel the need for monitor software.

Oblivious

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
MA
Although you missed the deal, it may be for the best. I know that my friend had a major issue with his PowerBook when he bought a 19" display with only VGA input. It created this nasty waviness on the screen when it was put at its highest resolution. He returned it and got a DVI input one as a replacement which worked perfectly. I think it has something to do with DVI going to VGA, which is for CRT monitors which use waves to create the image, and then back to digital for the LCD... or something like that. :p

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I'm not sure how great a deal that was. First, 17" is about the smallest LCDs made (maybe some 15" are still banging about, dunno). Unless you live in a very tiny apartment with an extremely low ceiling, these days 19" is considered a minimum. Missing the DVI is not cool. Viewsonic is not a bad brand, but there are better (Dell for one, and it's often cheaper)... remember that often the basic components are made by a few companies (such as Samsung and LG/Phillips) and the brand you see slapped on does not do everything from scratch... you can often get a better deal going directly to the source. Finally, and most importantly, LCD prices are supposed to absolutely plummet this year, so unless you need one RIGHT NOW, it seems a good idea to wait a bit. I'm in the market for a nice 20" myself, and for now I'm sitting tight (I like Dell and Samsung monitors). So, in the end, to me (and I realize it may seem odd) the $140 is pretty steep for what you'd get. You can do better. A lot better. Just wait a few months, if you can. On the other hand, if you gotta have it now, well that's a different kettle of fish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.