Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
HI guys,

Just wondering if you guys had any input about both of these lenses? The 18-70mm is considered "pro" glass from what I read, but it lacks VR. I am between these two...just wondering which is a smarter buy. These are for my new Nikon D80.

18-70mm for $150
18-105mm for $200

I can really go for either but I was looking for something sharp and fast. Cost doesn't matter between these two. And I am sure it's redundant to get both.

what do you guys think?

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
I have the 18-70mm, and while I wouldn't call it a "pro" lens due to the slow-ish maximum aperture, it's been amazing for the price. Very sharp, and I've had some great shots, especially from the wide end. I don't think VR is much of a benefit on a lens that size - maybe at the long end on the 18-105 you'd see some use out of it. I don't know much about the 105 version, but I'd check DP review for some feedback on image quality if you don't get any response from here, and as long as it's at least at good as the 18-70, it has to be worth the small price overhead.

Hope that helps.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I also have the 18-70, and am very pleased with it in most situations (low light it's useless).

But for the extra $50 I'd go with VR and the additional range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.