18 and older?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghostlyorb, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I was just looking through the Apple Online store and noticed that at the bottom it said you had to be 18 years and older. Does that mean you must use an adults credit card? Or that the owner of the account must be 18? I'm adding on to my friend's family's AT&T plan and getting rid of Verizon- So I have to know if I need the money in my parents account before I buy it online... any help would be much appreciated!:cool:

2. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't believe someone under 18 can enter into a binding contract. Since the purchase of an iPhone requires activation, and the activation process is a binding contract, someone under 18 can't do it. Hence you would need to be over 18.

3. ghostlyorb thread starter macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Okay, I see. I honestly didn't think about that. I'll just use the Barclaycard/juniper card we have. That kinda makes me mad though that you have to be 18 to buy an iPhone now...:(

4. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

While all states can be different, most do not let an 18 year old enter into a binding contract. The other issue that you may need to address, is that since you are talking about adding into the friends family plan is that you may need the primary account holder to be with you at the time of purchase. They are usually the only one that is authorized to make changes to the account, and adding you is a change. For safety sake, I would check into that before you get ready.

5. ghostlyorb thread starter macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Yes, his parents will be there with me. I need all of there information and such. But thank you! I'm just going to buy it online. I hate dealing with people in the store.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

If the account owners are the one's making the transaction, there is no issue. They are the one's signing the contract. You should be able to use your own CC.

7. elephunkman macrumors 65816

You have to be 18 to sign a contract since it is legally binding, but if they will be with you, then it's not a problem. But, anyway, that's really nice of them to let you do that!

8. ghostlyorb thread starter macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Yeah, they are basically my 2nd parents. Now, I'll still be paying about $50 a month like what I do now with my parents.

Does anyone know how much it costs to transfer my cell phone number from VzW to AT&T? I was told currently that it would be $70 because my plan is almost expired. Would AT&T charge me just $70? or the full like $170?

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if your contract with verizon is up, it should be free to port over

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

AT&T won't charge you to transfer, they want to steal your biz from VZW. You'll have to check w/ VZW to see if there is an ETF on the line now.

11. ghostlyorb thread starter macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

My contract expires at the end of July- I'm not waiting to get the iPhone.;)
    When I talked to the people at Verizon- it would cost $70 to cancel 2 months early. I know that AT&T can cancel your verizon account and transfer your number, I just don't know if they will charge the cheaper amount. If they do, I just get a new number- simple fix.;)

12. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

AT&T will not charge you to port your number. Verizon is going to charge you because you're cancelling your contract before it is up. You get a new # with AT&T and just keep your Verizon line open until the contract is up to avoid the ETF.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not sure what you mean by charge the cheaper amount. Here's how it will happen:

1) You'll go to AT&T and your friend's parents will request an additional line on their account. Your friend's parents will sign a new 2 year agreement for the additional line.

2) AT&T will charge you the new activation price of a phone.

3) AT&T will require the details (account # and address IIRC) of your Verizon account

4) AT&T will contact Verizon and request a port of the #

5) Verizon will release the number and allow AT&T to port it over

6) AT&T will activate the iPhone on your original #

7) Verizon will cut you a final bill that will have the $70 ETF on it

8) AT&T will send your friend's family a bill with the prorated first month, usage, and pre-billed second month, plus an activation fee

14. ghostlyorb thread starter macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Okay, thanks.. not many people actually put out steps, so thank you! 1 question though, I thought activation fees were only for new numbers? Or am I wrong?

15. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Read Step 8. Upgrades, $18. New lines on family plans, $26

16. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Just for the record, when I was upgrading from the iPhone to the iPhone 3G on my grandparent's AT&T account, I was able to upgrade, and sign a new contract, without my grandparents there, all while I was under 18 (I was 17 and 11 months but still, lol). Did it at the Apple store on Lincoln Road in Miami Beach with no problems. I'm sure that wasn't supposed to be allowed but I don't think they care/check. That was also the first time Apple was registering phones in the Apple store so maybe the guy just didn't know what he was doing.

17. ghostlyorb thread starter macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

okay thanks! I hope that it will work out well- I have the money already saved.

Okay thanks. I currently can't afford my own plan otherwise I would go do it. For the iPhone, you only have the data plan you have to pay for, right? For adding a line (9.99) and the data plan... with taxes it should be between $40-$50?

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You not gonna pay them for any voice minutes?

19. ghostlyorb thread starter macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Well I'm just paying how much extra it will be on their plan. Plus a few dollars extra. I hate now that I will only have 2GBs of data.. so there goes using mywi all the time on vacation :mad: So a few dollars towards the minutes anyway.