18 core, 128GB RAM iMac Pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by driftless, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I am wondering what sort of applications a fully tricked out iMac Pro would be used for?

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

I'll read like a bit of a geek here, IMHO the iMP should be a beast for genome mapping, environmental analysis (3D/4D/5D, pollutant disbursement assessment) and virtualization.

That beautiful screen, ECC memory, and sh**tons of flash would be a Mac I would have put out $20k for several years ago when I was laying out plenty of coin to rent time on AWS or a Cray. Sigh. Modeling hydraulic and geotechnical scenarios, that's where I'd use this beastie…

3. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Yeah 18-cores is a lot. I found this recently - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0G6-01MZ-00007

Even though that is old (Broadwell), 20 cores is a lot too!

With 18-cores and 20-cores, you can have several VMs perform some intense work. Give a few of them 4-cores. Although, the higher the core count, the slower the frequency is.

4. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

So isn't this thing actually 36 Core (with Hyperthreading)

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

No, Hyperthreading is not the same as having more real cores, it can provide a speed boost in certain apps and circumstances but is not a replacement for real cores.

Any app you want really that's the point.

6. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

FCX.
    It will cut through renders like butter. It can playback 8K files from my Red camera at full res 8K with color correction applied