18 different variations = a complete mess

Discussion in 'iPad' started by distemp, Mar 18, 2011.

1. distemp macrumors regular

I'm sure that the fact that parts have to be spread across SO many different versions is a big part of why things are so bad right now. I'm surprised that Apple went such a confusing route with the iPad 2. I would have held off on offering a white version until the 3G version could be made to work on both networks.

2. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Apple is looking at sales trends. They know what models are the most popular & what are the least popular. You know they will adjust manufacturing accordingly & no one will miss out on getting the iPad they want because there is a massive stockpile of white 64GB VZW iPads just sitting there.

3. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Yep, really confusing. It took me 3 seconds to decide.....Black, 32 Gig, WiFi only. I swear that people will complain about anything.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

Definitely giving me Performa flashbacks.

5. distemp thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, people will even complain about others complaining...which is always fun.

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

In terms of manufacturing, all iPads share about 99% of all the same parts. The only parts that are different would be memory chip, bezel, or cellular radio.

7. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Exactly! I dare Apple give their customers a variety of choices, so that everyone will be able to buy what they want. Such poor business ethics.

8. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Imagine if T-Mobile and Sprint were allowed into the club...:eek:

I've always felt the iPas 2 was a transition product to iPad 3 and the single carrier 3G modem is just one of the problems that will be addressed next gen and help make less sku's to sell.

But I do agree with what you say about white. People wouldn't have complained if Apple skipped it for another gen so maybe it did result in a more confusing and un-apple launch.

Oh. also, I wouldn't be opposed to them restricting to credit card only or 1 per person limitations just to cut down the resellers who seem to be snatching up all the daily shipments. I get that apple doesn't care who buys it, but at least sell to people who will keep it in the country.

9. distemp thread starter macrumors regular

I've lurked on this board for awhile, but I didn't realize how bitchy it was until I started posting today. LAWD you queens are nasty!

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Yes most of the members here are PMSing because they don't have their iPad 2's yet. I happen to have mine and am loving it :)

11. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Oh wait, I didn't know we cant disagree here. Frankly, I find the complaint about too many versions to just be laughable. Really, just deciding between black or white cuts the choices down in half.

12. distemp thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not complaining that there are too many choices, that's stupid. I was saying that most people (myself included) have a specific size/color that we want and with so many other versions to be produced, the availability of any one version is going to be lower than it would be otherwise.

How hard is that to understand?

13. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Agreed. Given that supplies are always very limited at gadget launch due to difficulties in making enough to meet demand, it's probably not wise to split stock across so many different models day 1.

Just means very limited quantities of specific models, and customers having to wait or settle for a model they don't want in many instances etc.

Better to do a simple launch and roll out variations later on--especially for minor things like color.

I'd say do it like the iPad 1 launch--wifi only for 3 weeks to a month then roll out 3g. Don't do the international launch until a month or more after the US 3g launch. Just do one color until all launches are over and then put out other colors.

No big deal, I ordered online and got the model I wanted and was one of the lucky ones to get the first shipment delivered on Tuesday. But it's definitely more of a headache for consumers than the iPad 1 launch was as it's harder to track down the model you want out of 18 options vs the 3 options we had at the iPad 1 launch.

14. langis.elbasunu macrumors regular

langis.elbasunu

the op is right. From a business and logistics perspective its not nearly the most efficient route.

LOL @ the people that will defend everything

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

Certainly understandable why the AT&T/Verizon wouldn't want a unified device, but adding white where there was really no public outcry for it just complicated things. While I agree that it's not all that complicated, it certainly mucks things up, especially when they ship 20-30 at a time to stores.

16. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

This is one of my favorite "complaints of the tards" with the latest iPad. You make it sound like there are 18 so radically different versions that you can't possibly make up your mind. When really, there are way more combinations to choose from when you stuff your pie hole with McDonalds value meals, and you never complain about their excess of options provided.

Let me help the confused, weak minded......

White or black?
    You've cut the selection down to 9.

3G or Wi-Fi?
    If you said Wi-Fi, you're now down to 3 models with the only difference being storage size.

If you said 3G, pick from one of two carriers then pick from 3 models with the only difference being storage size.

17. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I totally agree with this. Having 18 option is GREAT, but with such limited supply, controlling production and guessing at quantities for each version and having them all be available on Day 1 launch is definitely causing issues. Not from a custumer decision standpoint but from a supply one. Apple should have staggered WiFi vs 3G and Black vs White releases.

Tony

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

It ain't the picking, it's the getting. So now not only do you have slim odds of finding any in stock, when you do you have a 1:18 chance of getting what you walked in for.

19. distemp thread starter macrumors regular

I'm glad some people here have their heads screwed on tight. I don't know what's so hard to understand.

20. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Your head must explode when you visit Baskin Robins.

21. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

I have a dozen Tangerine iMacs for sale! First 5 orders get a free pink Smart Cover!

[​IMG]

22. distemp thread starter macrumors regular

Again. I'm happy to have many different CHOICES...I just don't think that spreading parts across so many different versions is doing ANYTHING to help the current supply problems.

Let me put it this way: say that my local Apple Store gets a shipment of 100 iPads. Currently, those 100 iPads could be any of 18 different models. I would like a 64 GB wifi in black. With that many versions circulating, the chances of me getting the model I'm looking for in that hypothetical shipment are much lower than if there were fewer versions for Apple to produce/ship out.

23. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Well, I guess that just means you have to be a little patient until the one configured to your liking is available for purchase. I'm sure in a few weeks we'll all have the one we want and everyone will be happy.

24. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

With the offerings by their competitors, I think apple is doing right by offering so many models. Gives people a choice.

25. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Its all so terribly confusing. I wish there was an app that would make the choice for me. They could call it iWineAlot. To take the OP's argument to the next level why offer any choice at all? The OP argues that they Apple should still offer a choice in 3G, and I presume a WiFi only model, as well as 3 different memory sizes. If Apple needed to streamline the supply line why not offer just a single model?

There have been an overwhelming number of threads that betray a sense of entitlement. "Apple screwed up because my wishes were not fulfilled immediately." Perhaps there is a lesson in all this, "life is not always fair"