Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
All I’ve done is make specific selections in what can use location services, background activity and Bluetooth.

And disabled wallpaper in always on because it still freaks me out into thinking my phone is still awake :D
Yea always on is a feature literally no one needs. Toting its existence is laughable. What real world reason would anyone need this?

Reactions: MrGimper

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
You may choose to miss out on the nice performance of the 15 Pros for a year. Your choice.
Unless you’re playing resident evil on the iPhone 15 the 14 and 14 Promax are more phone than 95% of the androids on the market. The 15 series is a dud. The 14 series could do all of it minus a few camera features and “ ray tracing “
The 15 series feels like the iPhone 12 SSS. Yea a lot of “ s “ it’s the same phone since the 12 but with a terrible dynamic eye sore. It makes no sense to drop the notch further down the screen just to take up more space in return for a completely useless sliver of pixels above the island. I won’t be upgrading until the island is gone. And if that means owning a flagship android or waiting for the 16 or 17. Then so be it.

• Haha
Reactions: Chidoro

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Sounds like you can’t wait to get an Apple Car, or another Electrical Vehicle… 😉

Looking forward to read MR’s Apple Car battery tips.
Be sure to turn off the always on dashboard and infotainment systems. Make sure location tracking is only on while using your iCar.
Be sure to only charge the iCar at night. Only charge the iCar to 80%
Make sure to use ONLY the Apple iShammy while cleaning your iCar. Remember to pay the monthly $999.99 AppleCare++ for your iCar in case you crack your windshield as all iCar windshields are proprietary nano texture sapphire OLED ceramic tempered panels.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildkraut

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
This kills me...

WWDC in June - 'shows off cool features for upcoming iOS'
In late Sept. early Oct. "Turn off the new cool features since latest iOS is killing the battery."

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
right? it’s unfortunate how many things have to be turned off or adjusted to preserve battery.

I personally like getting the most out of my iPhones so I have a lot of the things in the article turned on.

I have AppleCare and chargers are always around so I’m not worried about loss of battery life or it aging quickly.
I turned some things off. One video mentioned "turn off 120hz, go back to 60hz." Turn off haptics (goes back to last year). Granted I have a 13 Pro Max..battery health is 90% (looking at deep diagnostics it's really 84.8%) *Heck, many 14 Pro Max owners are sadly worse off than me, which is beyond unacceptable!

I REALLY would love if we could just go into an Apple store and tell them "replace the battery please!" Instead of waiting until it drops below this required 80% nonsense.

• Love
Reactions: newyorksole

MikeX

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
not about battery health. it is crazy how quick apple watch ultra and iphone 15 pro max drains battery because some apps are careless. apple solved a lot of things with hibernating apps but then background app refresh became the weak spot.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I don’t get people that are overly obsessed with preserving their battery health. Replacing a battery is very cheap, and even with heavy use you shouldn’t need to change it more than every two years or so…

It's not that cheap. Apple did recently cut the price a bit (from as high as $129), but it still costs $99 on most models. And even if you don't care about the money, there's an environmental cost to replacing batteries.

I think it's reasonable to expect that a battery will last, with some reasonable level of degradation, for the lifetime of the device. Having to get a battery replacement after as little as 12-18 months, as has been the case with some iPhone models in the past, kind of sucks.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
And let us not forget that Facebook got caught deliberately draining batteries. I'm sure all the "overheating" issues from third party apps were just inadvertent mistakes. LOL
Well, it’s Apple responsibility to offer a method to allow users to check the System and kill abusing processes. Just like we can with the “Taskmanager/Activity Monitor” on Windows, macOS, Linux and find more out. But yeah their wonky castrated iOS does not offer this.

docbop

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

With every new operating system release and new iPhone, there are complaints about issues with battery life, and this year is no exception. There are often periods of rapid battery drain following an update or release due to behind-the-scenes syncing, but sometimes problems can persist longer.

iphone-15-blue-23.jpg

Battery life problems can be caused by new features Apple has implemented, bugs that need to be fixed, or simply an uptick in usage after an update. Whatever the cause, we've rounded up some suggestions on how you can maximize your iPhone's battery life in situations where every last minute is important.

Note that there aren't many suggestions that don't disable key features on the iPhone, so you need to balance battery drain with the feature set that you want enabled, turning things off and on as needed when better battery life is required. Not all of these tips are specific to iOS 17 and the iPhone 15 models, but these steps will absolutely help preserve battery on your new device.

1. Turn Off Live Activities

Live Activities let apps keep an ongoing notification on the Lock Screen or Dynamic Island, and in iOS 17, Live Activities are used more than ever before. Combined with the Always-On display of the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro models, Live Activities can noticeably drain the battery.

ios-16-live-activities-feature.jpg

Live Activities can be disabled by following these steps:
  1. Open up the Settings app.
  2. Go to Face ID & Passcode.
  3. Enter your passcode to unlock the iPhone.
  4. Scroll down and toggle off Live Activities.
This will prevent Live Activities from showing up on the Lock Screen, but you'll want to take this one step further. In the individual app sections in the Settings app, you can disable Live Activities on an app-by-app basis, or avoid using Live Activities features within apps.

You can't fully disable the Dynamic Island, but you can swipe left on any running animation to dismiss it.

2. Delete Lock Screen and Home Screen Widgets

In iOS 17, Apple further improved widgets, introducing interactivity. Widgets can now be used right on the Lock Screen, so you can do things like control smart home products or check off Reminders without opening an app.

iOS-17-Widgets.jpeg

If you're not using a particular widget often, it might be best to remove it to preserve battery life, though it is worth exploring whether using a widget is less battery intensive than opening up an app.

On the Lock Screen specifically, you can use an option that doesn't have widgets, which makes it easy to switch over. Specific Lock Screens can be linked to a Focus mode, so you can even set up something that removes widgets and nixes unimportant notifications.

For details on adding widgets, removing widgets, and creating Lock Screens, we have a dedicated Lock Screen guide and a guide on interactive widgets.

Turn Off Live Voicemail

Live Voicemail is a feature that lets you get a real-time readout of a voicemail that someone is leaving so you can answer the phone if it's something important. Since Live Voicemail shows up right on the Lock Screen, it's not doing your battery any favors.

Live-Voicemail-iOS-17.jpg

If you want to disable it, you can do so by going to Settings > Phone > Live Voicemail and toggling it off.

4. Turn Off Proximity AirDrop Sharing

When you hold two iPhones running iOS 17 together, or an iPhone running iOS 17 and an Apple Watch running watchOS 10.1, the iPhone initiates a proximity-based AirDrop or contact transfer protocol. If you're continually triggering this, it can drain battery, so if you've got your iPhone near another iPhone and the AirDrop interface keeps popping up, you might want to turn it off.

airdrop-proximity-sharing.jpg

To do so, go to Settings > General > AirDrop and toggle off "Bringing Devices Together."

5. Take Advantage of Offline Maps

In iOS 17, you can download Apple Maps for offline usage. It's useful for when you don't have a cellular connection, but it's also good to use even if you do. If you're traveling in an area where you have a somewhat spotty connection, downloading a map for that spot and then turning off cellular will preserve your battery life without impacting your ability to get around.

Apple-Maps-Offline.jpeg

We have a dedicated how-to that walks you through downloading a map for offline usage, but it's as simple as searching for a location in Maps, tapping the download button, and then selecting the area of the map to download.

6. Disable Haptic Keyboard Feedback

Apple has a keyboard option that gives you haptic feedback when you tap the on-screen keys. It vibrates with each key tap for a more satisfying typing experience, but what you might not know is that it drains battery.

haptic-keyboard-feedback.jpg

Apple said in a support document last year that keyboard haptics might affect battery life, so it's not something you want to use when you don't have battery to spare. It's not on by default, but if you've enabled it, you can turn it off by following these steps:
  1. Open up the Settings app.
  2. Tap on Sounds & Haptics.
  3. Tap on Keyboard Feedback.
  4. Toggle off Haptic.
7. Turn Off Always-On Display (iPhone 15 Pro)

As the name suggests, the Always-On display on the iPhone 15 Pro models leaves the time, your wallpaper, widgets, and Live Activities visible on the Lock Screen even when your iPhone is locked... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: 18 Tips to Make Your iPhone 15's Battery Last Longer
Recently I turned off Always On Display and that alone has really saved on battery. After a few days you realize Always On was nice, but how little you actually casually look at your iPhone. Especially having an Apple Watch I can see the time or other data on it so no need for iPhone to be displaying the same data. Also heard when you set you iPhone down with the screen down that will shut off the display too saving battery.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
I don’t get people that are overly obsessed with preserving their battery health. Replacing a battery is very cheap, and even with heavy use you shouldn’t need to change it more than every two years or so…

If you are at the point of buying an iPhone 15 PM and disabling live activities, disabling always on display, removing widgets, etc, you are condemning yourself to a relatively poor user experience for very little gain IMO.

Also, it’s surprising that this article says nothing about charging method (wired vs MagSafe)
It's cheap when the screen ain't broken. The phone has to be impecable for the battery replacement to be cheap.

Reactions: spcopsmac21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.