18 W iPad Pro charger suitable for 12" MacBook?

EugW

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I'm curious, how well does an 18 W charger work for the MacBook? I know that it's possible to charge the 12" MacBook with a 12 Watt iPad charger, but it's really slow, and sometimes isn't even enough to keep up with active usage, especially if there is a hub with USB drive plugged in. However, will an 18 W charger be noticeably better?

I have the original 29 W USB-C charger and that's fine, but as a backup I'm wondering if an 18 W charger would suffice. Part of the reason I am asking is because I'll be buying an iPad Pro eventually and it comes with an 18 W USB-C charger.

mj_

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
It will work, alright, but as you've stated yourself it will be comparatively slow. I've tried using my 15W Oculus Quest charger with the MacBook and it took forever to charge it from empty to full, and it barely even charged while I was using it (without any accessories). I would assume that those three extra watts are not going to make a huge difference.

Then again as backup charger it would probably suffice, and be better than no charger at all ;)

Reactions: 4sallypat and EugW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.