$1800.00 AT&T iphone bill !?!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrnygirl, Nov 8, 2008.

1. jrnygirl macrumors newbie

Hey guys ... yesterday I opened our AT&T phone bill. We have 3 iphones on a family plan. I was totally shocked to see the bill was $1800.00 !!! WTF? 2 of the phones had "normal" charges but the 3rd phone had all kinds of phone use and data charges - totaling over $1800. The 3rd phone wasn't mine, so my first thought was that the phone must of been stolen and someone was racking up the charges. The phone was my brother's (with whom this account is under), and I called the phone but no one answered. So I was pretty much freakin out at that point and took it upon myself to deactivate his phone, so we don't end up going bankrupt. I did do that and then called AT&T to check on what these charges was all about, but I was not the primary account holder, they couldn't give me any information, or make any changes on my behalf.

To make this long story short ... the phone wasn't stolen. It was a "mistake" on AT&T's side - they were charging one phone with all data usage for all 3 phones that was suppose to be unlimited. They don't know what happened and will credit us $1800.00.

Thanks for the mild heart attack, AT&T :rolleyes:

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

3. Macgic macrumors 6502

Classic ATT! Stuff like that happens all the time. for over two months 4 of our phones weren't able to send texts or get internet because someone at ATT disabled it:confused:...took 2 hours on the phone to get it fixed and i escaped with 2 months free of texts and internet because of their mistake. ;)

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

At least they admitted it was a mistake. Hope it didn't take too long on the phone.

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Man, I hope they apologized...a lot! They probably rake in millions of dollars a year on charges that are applied to people's accounts mistakenly (but are small enough to go unnoticed...not like $1800!).

6. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I would have demanded compensation for my time and frustration... and they would have paid it.

I hope you got something out of this.

7. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

8. danterner macrumors member

I feel your pain, jrnygirl. I too have a 3-iPhone family plan. We've never once gone over on our minutes, so our bill has been a constant $200 a month. Except last month (October), when I saw the bill was for $300. Curious, I looked to see what the extra charges were for. That's when I saw that my next bill (the November bill) was for $10,400.00. Yes - that's not a typo - Ten thousand four hundred dollars. :eek:

Turns out AT&T had dropped the data plan on one of the phones inadvertently, and had charged 1 cent per K. The charges started at the tail end of September (resulting in that extra $100 on the October bill) and all of October (resulting in the $10,400). I called AT&T immediately and the worker was able to credit my account for the $100 that had already been deducted. We turned off auto-pay STAT, and the worker said he'd have to take the request to remove the $10k charge to his supervisor's supervisor and that it might take a month to fix. On Friday, we got a call saying everything had been taken care of and the bill was corrected.

9. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Did you take out a loan to cover that? :p

:D

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

That's insane--and I reason I never use anyone's crappy "auto-pay" feature. Can you imagine what carnage that would have caused to your finances if they had withdrawn that $10K? I pay online with saved account info--but its not automatic, just a series of one-time payments.

11. jrnygirl thread starter macrumors newbie

That is crazy! Why the hell would it "might" take a month to fix? That's bogus. Happy to hear you got that resolved. I'd probably faint if I got your bill :p

Another great reminder to never use that autopay feature. Thanks for sharing your horror story.

12. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

We have At&t U-Verse TV and one iPhone 3G on our family plan. They made a mistake with billing. On U-Verse TV, we were supposed to get 100 channels extra for free because of a previous mistake they had made.:D But, they forgot to credit it to our account so our bill was like $50 more than it should have been each month. :mad: They made a mistake trying to fix a previous mistake. :confused: Sort of ironic! Regardless, they gave us more credit but I hope they do it right this time.