Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

LocoTaco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Hello.
I need a new laptop and I'm looking into the MBP/MBA line. I'm on an $1800 budget and I want to know how I can utilize that money best.
Thanks in advance for the help!
EDIT: Wow I feel stupid.. forgot to list my usage "needs"
This won't be my primary computer, but I will be using Photoshop/After Effects on it. Some internet browsing and I'll be watching movies on it as well.
Sorry :(

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It's impossible for us to recommend the best product for you without knowing your usage and needs/wants. What are you going to do with it? Gaming, video editing, etc.? Will it be your primary machine?

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
The 3000 dollar one... :rolleyes:

Seriously, get the best one that fits your budget.

EDIT as the OP added stuff...

What maflynn said... ;)

Last edited:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
If the OP needs to use PS, then a 15" screen would be better. I use PS on a 13" MBP and its works well enough for small projects but if the OP needs more then occasional use, the 15" is a better option.

The 13" and 11" (mba) are great laptops but you are sacrificing screen real estate for portability

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
$1800 for a secondary computer? Not bad.

I chose to go with the Macbook Air 11" as my secondary computer but it really isn't ideal for photoshop etc.

I would go with the 13" Air Ultimate.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
How much PS and AE will you be running? Since it's a secondary machine, you might be fine with 13" MBP/MBA but that requires PS and AE usage to be fairly rare and light. For any serious AE, the 15" MBP is the only way to go.

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2011
Hey,

Since you will be using photoshop and doing light photo/video work a Macbook Air won't do you that good.

A Macbook Pro would be my recommended choice.

The 15" Macbook Pro fits you best at around $1800 without taxes.
The 13 ince models even in the air have NO DEDICATED GRAPHICS CARD-as far as I know the macbook airs aren't even customizable for example in the macbook pro you can add ram and add an SSD YOURSELF...it is worth the money.

I would go with the low end 15" model at $1800 and get yourself as it is with no added customizations. Later on in a few months you could add more ram etc. if you need any.

Trust me on this one; the macbook airs have no graphics card; aren't customizable by the user and it's just for a casual user who wants a laptop to have fun. The macbook pro would be a laptop for good/average/and Professional photographic and video/audio work.

Good luck!
Mark

LocoTaco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
How much PS and AE will you be running? Since it's a secondary machine, you might be fine with 13" MBP/MBA but that requires PS and AE usage to be fairly rare and light. For any serious AE, the 15" MBP is the only way to go.
I won't be doing HEAVY PS/AE on the MBP/MBA.. most of that will be on my main PC. However, I travel quite often and I would like to be able to edit while I'm on the plane..etc

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I won't be doing HEAVY PS/AE on the MBP/MBA.. most of that will be on my main PC. However, I travel quite often and I would like to be able to edit while I'm on the plane..etc

If that's the case the 13" MBP or MBA would work well enough. If you can live within the storage limitations of the MBA, then I'd say get that, due to its high portability

LocoTaco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
If that's the case the 13" MBP or MBA would work well enough. If you can live within the storage limitations of the MBA, then I'd say get that, due to its high portability

Awesome! Thanks everyone for the help :D
Really appreciate it!

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
If the OP needs to use PS, then a 15" screen would be better.
Actually, PS isn't his problem. It's AE. I'd hate to render a heavy project on anything less than the MBP15.

Edit: Never mind. This won't be the OP's main machine.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Now-here

Using the 15" is hardly comfortable in business class. Have you considered that?

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
If portability/mobility is important, then an MBA is awesome.

You can hook up an external LCD, bluetooth keyboard, and trackpad at home/office/dorm when not on-the-road.

The refresh for the MBA will be later than the MBP in 2012, so you'll get more mileage out of the current MBA before any update.

iMacBookPro

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2011
Los Angeles, California
MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro would be the right thing for you. I was in the same boat as you and went with the MacBook Pro. IM LOVING IT! Its your choice and your opinion. You just need to see the negatives and positives for the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, what you get out of both of them, the cost, and then the choice is yours. Hope you make a good decision.

Last edited:

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I ordered a base model 15" MacBook Pro with the educational discount from Apple for $1800.94 after the taxes and all that. I also purchased 8GB of Crucial RAM from Amazon for $37.

That falls in your price range and should suit your needs fine. I think Amazon sells the late 2011 15" Base model for $1700 as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.