$1800 Budget, which MB do I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LocoTaco, Dec 29, 2011.

1. LocoTaco, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

LocoTaco macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I need a new laptop and I'm looking into the MBP/MBA line. I'm on an $1800 budget and I want to know how I can utilize that money best.
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    EDIT: Wow I feel stupid.. forgot to list my usage "needs"
    This won't be my primary computer, but I will be using Photoshop/After Effects on it. Some internet browsing and I'll be watching movies on it as well.
    Sorry :(

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just get the cheapest one that fits your screen size requirements. Since you don't list any sort of helpful information like how you actually use your machine, specs probably don't matter that much to you.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's impossible for us to recommend the best product for you without knowing your usage and needs/wants. What are you going to do with it? Gaming, video editing, etc.? Will it be your primary machine?

4. wpotere, Dec 29, 2011

wpotere Guest

The 3000 dollar one... :rolleyes:

Seriously, get the best one that fits your budget.

EDIT as the OP added stuff...

What maflynn said... ;)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the OP needs to use PS, then a 15" screen would be better. I use PS on a 13" MBP and its works well enough for small projects but if the OP needs more then occasional use, the 15" is a better option.

The 13" and 11" (mba) are great laptops but you are sacrificing screen real estate for portability

6. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

$1800 for a secondary computer? Not bad.

I chose to go with the Macbook Air 11" as my secondary computer but it really isn't ideal for photoshop etc.

I would go with the 13" Air Ultimate.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How much PS and AE will you be running? Since it's a secondary machine, you might be fine with 13" MBP/MBA but that requires PS and AE usage to be fairly rare and light. For any serious AE, the 15" MBP is the only way to go.

8. Mark-Technology macrumors member

Hey,

Since you will be using photoshop and doing light photo/video work a Macbook Air won't do you that good.

A Macbook Pro would be my recommended choice.

The 15" Macbook Pro fits you best at around $1800 without taxes.
    The 13 ince models even in the air have NO DEDICATED GRAPHICS CARD-as far as I know the macbook airs aren't even customizable for example in the macbook pro you can add ram and add an SSD YOURSELF...it is worth the money.

I would go with the low end 15" model at $1800 and get yourself as it is with no added customizations. Later on in a few months you could add more ram etc. if you need any.

Trust me on this one; the macbook airs have no graphics card; aren't customizable by the user and it's just for a casual user who wants a laptop to have fun. The macbook pro would be a laptop for good/average/and Professional photographic and video/audio work.

Good luck!
    Mark

9. LocoTaco thread starter macrumors newbie

I won't be doing HEAVY PS/AE on the MBP/MBA.. most of that will be on my main PC. However, I travel quite often and I would like to be able to edit while I'm on the plane..etc

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If that's the case the 13" MBP or MBA would work well enough. If you can live within the storage limitations of the MBA, then I'd say get that, due to its high portability

11. LocoTaco thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks everyone for the help :D
    Really appreciate it!

12. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

13. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Actually, PS isn't his problem. It's AE. I'd hate to render a heavy project on anything less than the MBP15.

Edit: Never mind. This won't be the OP's main machine.

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Using the 15" is hardly comfortable in business class. Have you considered that?

15. VMMan macrumors 6502a

If portability/mobility is important, then an MBA is awesome.

You can hook up an external LCD, bluetooth keyboard, and trackpad at home/office/dorm when not on-the-road.

The refresh for the MBA will be later than the MBP in 2012, so you'll get more mileage out of the current MBA before any update.

16. iMacBookPro, Dec 29, 2011

iMacBookPro macrumors member

iMacBookPro

MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro would be the right thing for you. I was in the same boat as you and went with the MacBook Pro. IM LOVING IT! Its your choice and your opinion. You just need to see the negatives and positives for the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, what you get out of both of them, the cost, and then the choice is yours. Hope you make a good decision.

17. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

I would say MBA, and id imagine you'd have money left over.

18. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I ordered a base model 15" MacBook Pro with the educational discount from Apple for $1800.94 after the taxes and all that. I also purchased 8GB of Crucial RAM from Amazon for $37.

That falls in your price range and should suit your needs fine. I think Amazon sells the late 2011 15" Base model for $1700 as well.