$1800 to replace MBP logic board?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dmorgan, Jun 24, 2011.

1. dmorgan macrumors member

I have an early 2009 top spec MBP, and I opened it up to clean it out as I do (warrantly is far gone). Anyway, the video didn't work once I booted it up. I know, it was a stupid thing to do and I regret it!

I took it to an authorized Apple repairer and they tried hooking it up to an external display, and they even replaced the display and still nothing. They said it would be $1800 to replace the logic board.

When I bought it in 2009 I upgraded to the best components, which was expensive at the time, so I guess that is about right, is it?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sounds pretty high to me. Why not buy a 2011 refurb?

3. macbookfan macrumors member

I just payed for a logic board it was cheaper then that. Try an applestore that's where I went. not a authorized repair place

4. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I'd keep an eye on ebay, if you're willing to install it yourself you can pick up another logic board on ebay for around $400 for that model macbook pro. good luck bro

5. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Yeah, ebay or a parts distributer, you can buy a new lappy for that price. I'd say find one cheap enough and do it yourself, you'll end up either fixing it super cheap or having to replace it (and ending up with a newer machine for not that much more than the cost of having Apple do the work). But since you've already opened your machine in the past, you're obviously not afraid to get into the guts of it; I say hit up ebay or a parts supplier...

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That seems stupid high, and it is significantly higher than typical quotes for this sort of repair. Get a couple more quotes to compare (including one from Apple directly) and compare to the price of a refurb 2011. Past a certain point it just makes more sense to get a new one. You also would not need a top spec 2011 to match the experience of your 2009 machine, unless you specifically want a 17" or something of that sort. The early 2011 machines are in some cases significantly cheaper, and the difference is quite minor.

7. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

If the repairperson is Apple authorized and using parts directly from Apple, that quote isn't too far off. I'd expect about $1450.

Either way, I'd buy a new laptop.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

By top spec early 2009. Are you referring to the 15" or 17" early 2009 MBP? Perhaps link to the exact page for your model on everymac.com.

Anyways looking at the different models the boards seem to go between $400 and $600 on eBay, used. Depending on the model. The 2.8 15" is the most expensive.

Here are some board numbers. The 661 numbers are Apple parts numbers just search them on eBay to find the boards. All which I found are from reputable sellers with 30+ day warranties (eBay Buyer Protection gives 45 I think).
    15" 2.8 661-4836
    17" 2.66 661-5038
    17" 2.8 661-5203
    17" 2.93 661-5039

Labor shouldn't be more than $90 for the installation at a repair shop or from an on site tech. Even that seems excessive. An experienced tech should be able to do the swap and run diagnostics in less than an hour. It's even less time at a shop as they can just let the tests run while doing something else.

Compared to earlier models and every other laptop maker. The Unibody Macbooks are insanely quick and easy to disassemble. You just need some small torx screwdrivers, precision philips screwdrivers and the specialty driver for some batteries. Though you can get around that specialty screw by wriggling a flathead for the triwing or needle nose pliers for the 5 point security torx.