Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I have noticed this crackling noise sometimes when the tablet makes a sound. Can I just go in to exchange it or set an appointment up at the Genius Bar for it ?

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
I have noticed this crackling noise sometimes when the tablet makes a sound. Can I just go in to exchange it or set an appointment up at the Genius Bar for it ?

Mine has done that a few times too. I rarely use the alerts and sounds on my tablets so not a huge deal to me. Was wondering if it was happening to anyone else tho. I guess if it's widespread...Apple will take care of us in the first year so I'm going to wait a while until the kinks get worked out in production before I start the exchange process.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Mine has done that a few times too. I rarely use the alerts and sounds on my tablets so not a huge deal to me. Was wondering if it was happening to anyone else tho. I guess if it's widespread...Apple will take care of us in the first year so I'm going to wait a while until the kinks get worked out in production before I start the exchange process.

First one it never happened to me with the wifi version. I exchanged for the lte one and it's doing it

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I heard it once, when setting my custom ringtone. But not since. It could be a driver problem, blowing out the highs and getting some pops.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Crackling noise

Yeah it's happening but it's totally random ...idk I Don't Feel like going to the store again a 3rd time lol plus a good screen

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Yeah it's happening but it's totally random ...idk I Don't Feel like going to the store again a 3rd time lol plus a good screen
I would still have Apple check it out in the store. Mine doesn't make noise like this and from your post doesn't sound normal at all. If they did have to exchange it for you at least you would get a new one.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The most common cause of speaker crackling is a sleeping speaker that suddenly wakes up. I mentioned drivers earlier and usually the driver can be adjusted to wait a few milliseconds to allow the speaker to wake up before admitting a sound.

I don't know for sure, but it's a common possibility.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
The most common cause of speaker crackling is a sleeping speaker that suddenly wakes up. I mentioned drivers earlier and usually the driver can be adjusted to wait a few milliseconds to allow the speaker to wake up before admitting a sound.

I don't know for sure, but it's a common possibility.
I am reproducing it artificially by keeping on holding the home button repeatedly and does it about 25% of the time

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I am reproducing it artificially by keeping on holding the home button repeatedly and does it about 25% of the time

How about videos and music? Does it make the sound with that or is it just special-effects, like rings and dings? If it were defective hardware, it would make the crackling noises with any songs you play and not just the special-effects.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
How about videos and music? Does it make the sound with that or is it just special-effects, like rings and dings? If it were defective hardware, it would make the crackling noises with any songs you play and not just the special-effects.
Only special effects

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Idk I have an appointment with the apple store to see about it but not sure if I want to go through exchanging a bunch till the right one

Probably go and see if I can get them to help me with data anyway with t-mobile

Last edited:

jshear

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2013
Nassau Bahamas
I have same problem here. I get crackling but it's random. I have 128 gig LTE version. I am not sure if I am going to take it back yet. Maybe it's a software issue?

Jeff

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I have same problem here. I get crackling but it's random. I have 128 gig LTE version. I am not sure if I am going to take it back yet. Maybe it's a software issue?

Jeff

Software is what I think is well. It only happens when hearing effects, like dings. It doesn't seem to happen at all with music and videos, indicating a software glitch.

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
But wouldn't everyone have the same issue if it was a software issue?

Jeff

Define "everyone" ;) People seem to be focused on the screen and Wi-Fi and may not even be noticing any issues with the audio.

Last edited:

jshear

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2013
Nassau Bahamas
Define "everyone" :; People seem to be focused on the screen and Wi-Fi and may not even be noticing any issues with the audio.

i guess the more people that read this thread more people may realize they have the problem too. Strange as it is on sound effect only but not all the time.

Jeff

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Tried again when I got home from work today and it isn't doing it any more ...guess I'll cancel my appointment or keep it and see if they can get me data with t-mobile

partouse

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
I noticed crackling and distortion while streaming TV shows at about 70% volume. The tablet was vibrating so much that it was uncomfortable to hold in my hands as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.