iPad Crackling noise

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Closingracer, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Closingracer macrumors 68020

I have noticed this crackling noise sometimes when the tablet makes a sound. Can I just go in to exchange it or set an appointment up at the Genius Bar for it ?

2. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

Mine has done that a few times too. I rarely use the alerts and sounds on my tablets so not a huge deal to me. Was wondering if it was happening to anyone else tho. I guess if it's widespread...Apple will take care of us in the first year so I'm going to wait a while until the kinks get worked out in production before I start the exchange process.

3. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

First one it never happened to me with the wifi version. I exchanged for the lte one and it's doing it

4. Rafterman macrumors 68000

I heard it once, when setting my custom ringtone. But not since. It could be a driver problem, blowing out the highs and getting some pops.

5. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

Crackling noise

Yeah it's happening but it's totally random ...idk I Don't Feel like going to the store again a 3rd time lol plus a good screen

6. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I would still have Apple check it out in the store. Mine doesn't make noise like this and from your post doesn't sound normal at all. If they did have to exchange it for you at least you would get a new one.

7. Rafterman macrumors 68000

The most common cause of speaker crackling is a sleeping speaker that suddenly wakes up. I mentioned drivers earlier and usually the driver can be adjusted to wait a few milliseconds to allow the speaker to wake up before admitting a sound.

I don't know for sure, but it's a common possibility.

8. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

I am reproducing it artificially by keeping on holding the home button repeatedly and does it about 25% of the time

9. Rafterman macrumors 68000

How about videos and music? Does it make the sound with that or is it just special-effects, like rings and dings? If it were defective hardware, it would make the crackling noises with any songs you play and not just the special-effects.

10. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

Only special effects

11. macmyworld macrumors regular

macmyworld

Dice with Buddies is brutal on mine. All kinds of weird distortion and noises. All other games and music is fine so far.

12. Closingracer, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

Idk I have an appointment with the apple store to see about it but not sure if I want to go through exchanging a bunch till the right one

Probably go and see if I can get them to help me with data anyway with t-mobile

13. jshear macrumors member

I have same problem here. I get crackling but it's random. I have 128 gig LTE version. I am not sure if I am going to take it back yet. Maybe it's a software issue?

Jeff

14. Rafterman, Oct 25, 2014

Rafterman macrumors 68000

Software is what I think is well. It only happens when hearing effects, like dings. It doesn't seem to happen at all with music and videos, indicating a software glitch.

15. jshear macrumors member

But wouldn't everyone have the same issue if it was a software issue?

Jeff

16. Rafterman, Oct 25, 2014

Rafterman macrumors 68000

Define "everyone" ;) People seem to be focused on the screen and Wi-Fi and may not even be noticing any issues with the audio.

17. jshear macrumors member

i guess the more people that read this thread more people may realize they have the problem too. Strange as it is on sound effect only but not all the time.

Jeff

18. macmyworld macrumors regular

macmyworld

I'm guessing we will see a firmware update at some point from Apple. Must be a new audio driver

19. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

The thing is this is my 2nd Ipad air 2 and 1st one never did it

20. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Is it crackling inside the unit or crackling from the speaker?

21. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

From the speaker.

22. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

Tried again when I got home from work today and it isn't doing it any more ...guess I'll cancel my appointment or keep it and see if they can get me data with t-mobile

23. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Speakers do need time to bed in. Bit like headphones etc. May just need a bit of time if it's not software.

24. partouse macrumors newbie

I noticed crackling and distortion while streaming TV shows at about 70% volume. The tablet was vibrating so much that it was uncomfortable to hold in my hands as well.

25. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

I have still noticed it but only when I am charging it