180GB SSD or 750GB 72OORPM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Revelation1115, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Revelation1115 macrumors newbie

Hey guys! I just got a Macbook Pro with a 160GB HDD 5400RPM and I will be using this for college. Now my question is, which is more practical: 180GB SSD or 750GB 7200 RPM? Thanks in advance! :)

2. Negotiator74 macrumors newbie

Since you are looking for "practical" I'd vote for the 750GB. My new MBP has the SSD and I love the speed of opening programs. But, since you didn't mention "speed", you'd be fine with the 750gb.

3. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

You got to ask yourself, do you want speed or space?

For practical reasons i would go with the 750gb hd because its fast enough for everyday things and you get the tons of space.

4. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

There are 2 big questions that you have to answer.

First, and most important. Can you make do with 180 GB? I know people with 150 GB iTunes libraries. Games can take up to 30 GB. If you aren't sure that you can live for the next year or 2 in 180 GB, stick with the 750 GB.

Second question, do you really need the speed? Most people that get a SSD don't.... but hey are very cool.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

How about a 100GB SSD Boot/app drive, a $15 Optibay knockoff on eBay, and the 750GB for data storage. Then you have a practical solution offering speed and data storage.

Really though you need to at least use "Get Info" on your current hard drive to see how much space you are using. If you are like the majority of people you would be fine with only a 64GB SSD.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'd go with the HDD unless you have backup drives sitting around. It also depends on what you like to do and if you're going to be downloading a lot of things; of course the external HDDs play a large part as well.

If you aren't going to be playing games or doing any editing of the like, I'd get the SSD ONLY if I had backup external hard drives.

If you dont' have any, 180gb is very small and will fill up fast if you download a lot of things (movies, tv shows, pictures, music)

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

As a college student, I'd recommend the 750GB 7200 RPM, especially in terms of practicality. I don't think I could get away with a 180GB drive, especially since SSDs don't like being close to full. You'll acquire a lot of crap through college, so you need some storage. Maybe in a year or so, add an SSD boot drive and ditch the optical if you don't need it. If you do need it, get a bigger SSD later on when they aren't so expensive. I spend way too much money on books to even think about an SSD right now.

8. samywamy10 macrumors regular

samywamy10

What do you mean ssds don't like being close to full?