Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Interest in Apple's iPhone and iOS platform remains high with continued strong hardware sales driven by the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus launch pushing App Store downloads to record-setting levels in October, reports mobile marketing firm Fiksu.

fiksu-october-app-downloads.jpg
According to Fiksu's October App Store Competitive Index, app downloads reached a record-setting high of 7.8 million per day across the top 200 free iOS apps. This is a 42 percent jump from September and a 39 percent increase year-over-year, with the trend expected to continue into the holidays.

Fiksu also highlights a disparity between rising advertising costs and a drop in marketing costs per loyal user for app developers, pointing to how nurturing a loyal user base can ensure users immediately add their favorite existing apps to new devices.
Despite the marked rise in advertising costs particularly on iOS, the Cost Per Loyal User Index (CPLU) indicated a slight decline in October to $2.16 from September's $2.25. This decrease is a result of the tendency of app users to quickly re-download their most-used "vital" apps during upgrades. The first set of apps users download on their new iPhone 6s are likely to be those they can't live without, which makes them much more likely to become loyal users of those apps.
Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus launched in September with a record-breaking 10 million units sold during the first weekend of retail availability. Apple sold a total of 39.3 million iPhones in fiscal Q4 2014 and 169.2 million iPhones for the year. This growth is expected to continue in the holiday quarter with predicted sales of 71.5 million units.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Launch Drives Record App Store Downloads in October

thmsup

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
So basically you are saying that the Top 200 out of 1,000,000+ apps on the App Store have been dowloaded 42% more often than in the previous month? How is that representative? What if the remaining 999,800 apps have seen half the downloads than before? :eek:

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Most certainly were looking for apps that looked better on the new amazing larger screen, no doubt. I was.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
This can only mean doom for Apple. ;)

Yep. One of two things will happen in this thread-

Either someone will find some way to spin this around into a negative, or they'll bring up completely unrelated issues they're having with an Apple product in order to find something to complain about.

Back on topic- this trend should continue throughout the November and December numbers as more people that want an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus actually start receiving them.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Even though this surge happens every iPhone release and winter holiday season the 7.8 million daily downloads is a very impressive number.

That's the equivalent of 90 apps downloaded every second.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Record downloads?

Yeah, record downoads of iOS8.1 to make up for the buggy crap that was iOS8.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Yep. One of two things will happen in this thread-

Either someone will find some way to spin this around into a negative, or they'll bring up completely unrelated issues they're having with an Apple product in order to find something to complain about.

Back on topic- this trend should continue throughout the November and December numbers as more people that want an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus actually start receiving them.

Yes, many of us have a tendency to derail the topics :eek:

This is good stuff for Apple. Glad to see them rocking it out with the new iPhone.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
So is the increase related to more iphones in the wild and therefore a bigger base of people that will download apps or it related to loyalty? Frankly, I don't even know where to begin with measuring loyalty since most people just auto update their apps. I have several apps that I have not used in a long time that keep updating, but I don't think that makes me loyal to the app.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Such a load of BS since everyone was forced to download updated apps after iOS8 was forced on everybody.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Such a load of BS since everyone was forced to download updated apps after iOS8 was forced on everybody.

This. Plus: New phone= ICloud Restore = Redownload all my apps without even looking at the AppStore.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Even though this surge happens every iPhone release and winter holiday season the 7.8 million daily downloads is a very impressive number.

That's the equivalent of 90 apps downloaded every second.

I find your signature to be ironic.

As stated before, this happens every year after people get their new iDevices and download new apps for them. But 90 apps a second is astonishing.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Must be down to the extra 32GB of storage they got with the 64GB versions of the iPhone 6 / Plus.

All that freedom to download those apps you never were able to fit in your old 16/32GB iPhone. I was one of them. :cool:

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
The way I see it is that iOS 8 is so buggy that so many people had to setup their iPhone 6/6+ as a new device instead of backing up their old phone and restoring.
I can only speak for myself on this: I personally haven't seen near the level of bugginess that the iOS7 release brought and even that really wasn't very bad in my experience.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
The way I see it is that iOS 8 is so buggy that so many people had to setup their iPhone 6/6+ as a new device instead of backing up their old phone and restoring.

I'm sure that's what most of the users here believe. MacRumors is an echo chamber where problems and issues get repeatedly magnified and amplified until it's assumed that every device has every problem imaginable.

In the real world, there are people that enjoy their Apple products- because the majority of them do work as expected.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I know I contributed to this stat since I had to do a full iTunes restore as new and redownload apps thrice with 8.0.2, 8.1 and 8.1.1.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm sure that's what most of the users here believe. MacRumors is an echo chamber where problems and issues get repeatedly magnified and amplified until it's assumed that every device has every problem imaginable.

In the real world, there are people that enjoy their Apple products- because the majority of them do work as expected.

I might have missed it. Can you point out where these numbers indicate new downloads vs updating/redownloads?

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I might have missed it. Can you point out where these numbers indicate new downloads vs updating/redownloads?

No, I can't, because I wasn't the one making claims about why the app download number is so high.

I'm just pointing out that the cynical explanation is always the "right" explanation around here. So even if I did have concrete numbers, who would believe them?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No, I can't, because I wasn't the one making claims about why the app download number is so high.

I'm just pointing out that the cynical explanation is always the "right" explanation around here. So even if I did have concrete numbers, who would believe them?

Or perhaps the OP was pointing out that since it can't be determined, he doesn't find the # impressive or all that important to date.

Junipr

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
Steve Jobs would have never allowed these iPhone screen sizes.

We all love and miss Steve. For better or worse, we have to let him go. That's life, it just works that way. :apple:

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Or perhaps the OP was pointing out that since it can't be determined, he doesn't find the # impressive or all that important to date.

That's not the way his post was phrased, but I would absolutely respect and agree with that statement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.