Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Won't most people who are upgrading restore their phone... And then for the people who don't sync through iTunes, all of their previously installed apps, whether they are important to a user or not, will download.

I'm not sure there's anythibg more to this than that.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
So basically you are saying that the Top 200 out of 1,000,000+ apps on the App Store have been dowloaded 42% more often than in the previous month? How is that representative? What if the remaining 999,800 apps have seen half the downloads than before? :eek:

I want you at my kids next birthday party to entertain the kids. :D

----------

Won't most people who are upgrading restore their phone... And then for the people who don't sync through iTunes, all of their previously installed apps, whether they are important to a user or not, will download.

I'm not sure there's anythibg more to this than that.

Yes, but that means the same thing since a restore will not restore apps only data which means that apps will be downloaded again making the numbers look better than they really are. They all play these games.

Yes, its a bit deceptive.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Does this not happen every time apple launches a new iphone?

I had to download all my apps to my new iphone once i activated the phone. This is not a surge of getting new apps, its updating and downloading the apps you have as part of a restore.

We have to remember that iOS 8 launched and most apps were updated. Every App i have, was updated for iOS 8.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
The way I see it is that iOS 8 is so buggy that so many people had to setup their iPhone 6/6+ as a new device instead of backing up their old phone and restoring.

Got an iPhone 6. Restored to previous backup from old iPhone. No problems. :cool: Did I miss anything? The only problem I had with iOS 8 was the freezing issues on my iPad 2 which was "mostly" resolved in 8.1.1. What problems have you seen?

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Been waiting 2.5 weeks for a pre-ordered Verizon iPhone 6 in space gray and 64 GB. Here it's almost December and still wating 2.5 weeks for a basic phone. That's crazy.

iJandro

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I'm sure this guy had something to do with that...
chinese-man.jpg

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
Because of the iPhone 6? Ever thought it *might* be due to cheaper iPhones?

I haven't seen virtually any iPhone 6's being used - most likely because they are *******. People will wait until Apple stop smoking the crack pipe and release a decent, high spec phone that doesn't - isn't - going to snap.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I've been downloading a bunch of apps because I actually have a lot of storage now with my 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Such a load of BS since everyone was forced to download updated apps after iOS8 was forced on everybody.

You probably have never used iPhone, based on your comment. App updates don't count as a new downloads from App Store. But keep hating because....you know.... it's cool ;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You probably have never used iPhone, based on your comment. App updates don't count as a new downloads from App Store. But keep hating because....you know.... it's cool ;)

Again - no where in the article does is differentiate new from updates. It days downloads. Not new. Not updates. Not anything. Just downloads.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Again - no where in the article does is differentiate new from updates. It days downloads. Not new. Not updates. Not anything. Just downloads.

App downloads are not = to update downloads. Why would updates be classed as app downloads when in fact you are not downloading an app, but just a change that have been made to it.

According to Fiksu's October App Store Competitive Index, app downloads reached a record-setting high of 7.8 million per day across the top 200 free iOS apps.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
App downloads are not = to update downloads. Why would updates be classed as app downloads when in fact you are not downloading an app, but just a change that have been made to it.

Let me know when you've confirmed that with the Fiksu and how they tabulated the results. Thanks.

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
That's cool. Means strong iPhone sales hell yeah finally it can regain some of its lost market share.

Thekarens

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
I know I was one of those driving app downloads. Up until a couple weeks ago I had never had an iPhone. I've always used Android, with Nexus being my preferred device.

I decided I wanted a "phablet" which left me with the choices of Nexus 6, Note 4 and iPhone 6 plus. I went with the iPhone since it had the best reviews IMO. I've re-bought all my favorite android apps and a few extra that weren't available on android like KOTOR.

FWIW, I've had a few glitches, but that's true of all new OS. They seem to get worked out with updates for the most part.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I find your signature to be ironic.

As stated before, this happens every year after people get their new iDevices and download new apps for them. But 90 apps a second is astonishing.

Yeah I used to have my stuff down on my signature and as I was about to update it, i just typed "nobody cares", just guess I was just in a mood. I'm sure I'll update it eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.