Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osxnewbe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
I am a OS X newbie after using Windows for almost 15 years. One thing I am having trouble figuring out is how to cut & paste files and folders similar to what can be done in a Windows environment (i.e. cut using Ctrl-X, paste using Ctrl-v).

An example is if I want to move files from my hard drive to a flashdrive...is there way to cut and paste (i.e. move) the files? My current method is to just drag the files the new destination (which copies them) and then drag the files from the old location to the trash bin....

When I look at the 'edit' menu in Finder, the 'cut' and 'paste' options are grayed out which makes me think they are unavailable...

Thanks in advance

OS X Newbe

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
OS X is all about keyboard shortcuts.

To cut... cmd+x
To copy... cmd+c
To paste... cmd+v

(After selecting the file)

cmd (Command) is the button with the apple on it.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You cannot cut and paste a file. It simply does not work this way. If you want to move a file then move it. Cut and paste is not move. What happens if you forget to paste? Lost file.

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
As robbieduncan said, you can't cut a file in OSX, presumably to prevent file losses...

What you can do is drag the desired file to the location you want to MOVE it to and before "dropping" it (releasing the mouse button), just press and hold either command or control (can't remember which and I'm at work so can't test). Doing so, the green "+" graphic should disappear. That means you will move instead of copy.

Hope that helps.

osxnewbe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Thanks! Holding down the 'cmd' button when dragging the files makes sense.

I knew is was going to be something easy....I just had not stumbled upon it....

OS X Newbe

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
It's the option button rather than the cmd button :)

Edit: Just to clarify, using the option button will create a copy of the dragged file/folder. The original will still be intact.

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
command+drag = move
option+drag=copy
option=command+drag=make alias(shortcut)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Just to keep it simple.

osxnewbe, if you want to copy files to your flash drive just drag the files to the flash drive icon. A mini green plus sign will appear, signifying that you are copying the files to the flash drive. There is no need to option or cmd click.

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
MajereXYU said:
As robbieduncan said, you can't cut a file in OSX, presumably to prevent file losses...

What you can do is drag the desired file to the location you want to MOVE it to and before "dropping" it (releasing the mouse button), just press and hold either command or control (can't remember which and I'm at work so can't test). Doing so, the green "+" graphic should disappear. That means you will move instead of copy.

Hope that helps.

I thought he was referring to this... Was he not?

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Bezerkeley
dylan said:
1) command+drag = move
2) option+drag=copy
3) option=command+drag=make alias(shortcut)

Just to clarify a few things...

File management within the same drive/partition:
1) The act of drag-drop alone will move the file. There is no need to use "command+drag"
2) If you want to duplicate the file. Then option+drag is what you want (as others have pointed out, a green circle with a "+" will be displayed under the curser).

File management across two different drives/partitions:
1) Drag-drop alone will duplicate the file onto the second drive by default. Option+drag not necessary.
2) If you wish to move the file (leaving no copy on the original drive), then command+drag comes into play. The green-circle with the "+" icon will disappear from beneath the cursor.

Both cases:
3) Making aliases is the same for each. alt+command+drag

DataHead

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2007
Installing your own keyboard shortcuts for cut and paste in Finder

Ok, if you want to install your own keyboard shortcuts for cut/paste functionality until Apple decides to make it official do this:

Install OnMyCommand from free.abracode.com/cmworkshop.
(By copying the program file to Applications.)
Install OMCEdit from inside the OnMyCommand package (by copying the program file to Applications).
Install Shortcuts from free.abracode.com/cmworkshop.
Go to free.abracode.com/cmworkshop -> Online archive of user submitted commands -> view "File" commands by category -> 212 Cut Item(s) -> Open (Firefox gives a inappropriate error window.) Then save that text file somewhere.
Do the same with 213 Paste Item(s).
Run OMCEdit and File -> Import those two commands.
You can now ctrl click -> Cut and Paste Item(s) Finder items.
Now quit OMCEdit and run Shortcuts.
On the Setup tab start the ShortcutObserver and add it to your login startup.
On the Assign Hot Keys tab under File select Cut Item(s) and assign it Shift Command X.
Under Folder select Paste Item(s) and assign it Shift Command V (or whatever you want that doesn't conflict with other shortcuts).

Quit Shortcuts and give it a try!

Many thanks to Abracode, Knut Lorenzen and Fredrik Andersson!

Kevin Serwick

cpthk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
You cannot cut and paste a file. It simply does not work this way. If you want to move a file then move it. Cut and paste is not move. What happens if you forget to paste? Lost file.

Hope that helps.

I dont understand why you guys said cut and paste could lost file. In windows, you cut and didn't paste will not result lost files. The cut operation is really started when you paste it. When you do cut, it only tells windows which to be cut later, not really cut it immediately until you paste it. And the cut and paste background procedure really is copy and delete the one cut for you. Because you do cancel in the middle of the operation, the file is still there. I have been using windows more than 10 years, and never seen lost file due to cut and paste.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I dont understand why you guys said cut and paste could lost file. In windows, you cut and didn't paste will not result lost files. The cut operation is really started when you paste it. When you do cut, it only tells windows which to be cut later, not really cut it immediately until you paste it. And the cut and paste background procedure really is copy and delete the one cut for you. Because you do cancel in the middle of the operation, the file is still there. I have been using windows more than 10 years, and never seen lost file due to cut and paste.

You are correct, there seems to be a blind spot amongst Apple fans here as to this shortcoming. Cut & paste files/folders works well in Windows and there is no 'lost files' danger with it (well I have never experienced in 20 years of using PCs anyway).
Msft stole enough stuff from Apple, why they cant steal one simple and useful feature back is a mystery. I believe this finder replacement implements it so its not as if its impossible to do on OSX.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The salient point here is that OSX is different from Windows. There will be several things that a Windows user is used to that simply don't function the same way on a Mac. The OP seems to be aware of this, and that's the first step on the adjustment path. The Windows users who insist on making their new Macs work "the same way Windows does" will never be satisfied.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
The salient point here is that OSX is different from Windows. There will be several things that a Windows user is used to that simply don't function the same way on a Mac. The OP seems to be aware of this, and that's the first step on the adjustment path. The Windows users who insist on making their new Macs work "the same way Windows does" will never be satisfied.

This is a common misconception amongst a minority of Apple users. They feel that Windows users want to change Mac OS into Windows. Now that wouldn't make sense would it? Windows users WANT to learn how to use a Mac, otherwise we would not have made the switch (it ain't cheap). However, with knowledge of how other OSes work (such as Windows and Linux) we can sometimes spot areas that does not seem very logical but have been ignored by long time Apple users. Suggestions are made to improve the Mac OS is such a way that makes using it easy and enjoyable, and most importantly, WITHOUT disrupting the habits of existing Mac users.

This is an excellent example. Honestly, the CUT FILE function is extremely useful for many people. Implementation of this "feature" would in no way be an issue for Mac users who are more comfortable with their own methods. Sometimes, I think Apple programmers try so hard to be different (from Windows) for the sake of being different. I'd be very happy to do things the Mac way, if it is simpler and better. But there is no shame is acknowledging that other OSes have worthy features too.

I just thought I should make it clear that Windows users are not here to insist that Macs have Windows features. Only in cases where it makes sense to do so. Stop thinking of this as a Windows vs Mac issue, but a "how to improve the Mac" issue and discuss it objectively.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
The salient point here is that OSX is different from Windows.

Why not campaign for cut&paste in documents to be removed as thats in Windows as well ?

Cut/paste files and folders on Windows is often superior for useability to drag drop on OSX , and it wouldnt turn OSX into Windows, it would just make it better than it is, if it was offered as an option (not replacing it obviously). You can do both in Windows, only one in OSX, how does that help OSX be better? Seems you just want it different, not better !

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
That not the salient point, its the idiotic point. Why not campaign for cut&paste in documents to be removed as thats in Windows as well ?

Cut/paste files and folders on Windows is often superior for useability to drag drop on OSX , and it wouldnt turn OSX into Windows, it would just make it better than it is, if it was offered as an option (not replacing it obviously). You can do both in Windows, only one in OSX, how does that help OSX be better? Seems you just want it different, not better !

No, I think he just thinks anything Apple does is the right way.

Anyway, that was one of the first features that irritated me about the Mac OS. To do the same thing on a Mac, you have to copy, then paste, and then go back and delete (unless you can easily drag the file). I also don't like how Mac's handle emptying one or more files in Trash (i.e., they don't. You have to empty the entire trash, unless you have a script to use Terminal, which I do). Of course, the same kind of argument are given for why we don't need that feature too.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
All three of you are wrong about what I think, but, that's ok.

And, I've seen many posts from switchers who explicitly say they want the Mac OS to work the same way as Windows. Perhaps they are in the minority, but they exist.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007

Anyone who has ever used this feature in Windows know what this is not true. You never lose a file if you fail to paste it. The file is marked as "cut" but not removed until you paste.

And, I've seen many posts from switchers who explicitly say they want the Mac OS to work the same way as Windows. Perhaps they are in the minority, but they exist.

I personally know three people who have switched from PC to Mac. Every single one of them, myself included, wondered how to do this most simple Windows function. It is a very useful feature, especially given the Mac "single window" method of browsing Finder. It gets a little tiring when you have to open multiple windows just to drag when it could be done in one window with the keyboard.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Anyone who has ever used this feature in Windows know what this is not true. You never lose a file if you fail to paste it. The file is marked as "cut" but not removed until you paste.

Which is the logical inconstancy with the feature. As if you cut some text in a Word document (using the same keyboard shortcut) it's cut immediately. So Apple don't do it as consistency makes it easier for people to model what's happening in their heads.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Which is the logical inconstancy with the feature. As if you cut some text in a Word document (using the same keyboard shortcut) it's cut immediately. So Apple don't do it as consistency makes it easier for people to model what's happening in their heads.

I dont know anyone who ever had a problem "modelling" what happens with it in the two very different circumstances. Maybe some pedantic Mac users cant cope with it? And I certainly know its easy enough to accidentally drop a file being dragged and wonder where the h*ll it went.

Anyway, the point is, its not either/ or, provide both & let users choose.

We've only got your words to go on , which if I recall correctly are to the effect folks just want it to be the same as Windows. But none of the responders here want it to be the same because its like Windows, we want it the same because its an improvement. BUt anyway, what would be your reason for not implementing a useful feature that you wouldnt have to use if you didnt want to?

Thats not whats at issue in this discussion, its that here's one feature that Windows does better, so copy it. Not because its the same as Windows, because its better than current.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
BUt anyway, what would be your reason for not implementing a useful feature that you wouldnt have to use if you didnt want to?
I never said that was my position. You drew your own conclusion there. My point is that the Mac OS doesn't have that feature, that's all. I've seen others argue that Apple should not make that a feature, but I certainly haven't taken that position here, or anywhere else for that matter.

Thats not whats at issue in this discussion, its that here's one feature that Windows does better, so copy it. Not because its the same as Windows, because its better than current.
That was just my response to someone else's comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.