184 MPH on a Bicycle: How Denise Mueller-Korenek Set the World Record

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Gutwrench, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I know this is a social issue :rolleyes:, but it’s worth posting because it’s a pretty amazing feat.

184 MPH on a Bicycle: How Denise Mueller-Korenek Set the World Record

Slowing down and leaving the bubble must have been darned scary.

2. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for putting this up and well done to Denise Mueller-Korenek and her team. Absolutely blitzed the record. I have really enjoyed spending a bit time today reading the history of the records in this event. :)

3. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

She annihilated the wind resistance LOL

4. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I have always been a fan of bicycles, thanks for sharing. Them new electric bicycles these days are great.

5. gsurf123 macrumors member

There is nothing amazing about being towed by some type of vehicle to get to a given speed. I doubt anyone ever attempting it before because it means nothing.

6. Civil Engineer macrumors member

--- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2019 ---
    Sorry, but I would not even consider going that fast on a bike. Any idea what you would look like if you biffed it?

7. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

Perfect! As an engineer could you comment at all about the science behind this? Since a rider is within a air bubble what is happening? Are they being pulled along? What pace do they need to pedal to maintain drafting?

8. AngerDanger, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Whaaaaaa…? That is exactly how these records are set. It's called motor-pacing and is used to mitigate air resistance and get the bike going fast enough that it's physically possible to pedal it. As for nobody ever attempting it before, motor-pacing was first conceived of in 1899.

The previous motor-paced record was set in 1995 by Fred Rompelberg and was over 15mph less.

9. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

Where's the GIF?

10. jordii macrumors regular

11. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

She was only towed to get up to speed, around the 57 second mark you can see the tow strap let go and then she is pedaling on her own keeping pace with the rail car, she actually appears to gain on it a couple times.

Appears to be fixed gear with a double multiplier. You could probably stand on one pedal with the bike standing still and it wouldn't go anywhere.

12. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

I believe she dropped the tether at 157mph and she was able to keep up with the accelerating lead car from that point, while in her drafting bubble.