184 MPH on a Bicycle: How Denise Mueller-Korenek Set the World Record

Gutwrench

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I know this is a social issue :rolleyes:, but it’s worth posting because it’s a pretty amazing feat.

Slowing down and leaving the bubble must have been darned scary.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
I have always been a fan of bicycles, thanks for sharing. Them new electric bicycles these days are great.

gsurf123

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2017
There is nothing amazing about being towed by some type of vehicle to get to a given speed. I doubt anyone ever attempting it before because it means nothing.

Civil Engineer

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2013
I know this is a social issue :rolleyes:, but it’s worth posting because it’s a pretty amazing feat.

Slowing down and leaving the bubble must have been darned scary.

[doublepost=1548027310][/doublepost]Sorry, but I would not even consider going that fast on a bike. Any idea what you would look like if you biffed it?

Reactions: Gutwrench

Gutwrench

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
[doublepost=1548027310][/doublepost]Sorry, but I would not even consider going that fast on a bike. Any idea what you would look like if you biffed it?
Perfect! As an engineer could you comment at all about the science behind this? Since a rider is within a air bubble what is happening? Are they being pulled along? What pace do they need to pedal to maintain drafting?

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
There is nothing amazing about being towed by some type of vehicle to get to a given speed. I doubt anyone ever attempting it before because it means nothing.
Whaaaaaa…? That is exactly how these records are set. It's called motor-pacing and is used to mitigate air resistance and get the bike going fast enough that it's physically possible to pedal it. As for nobody ever attempting it before, motor-pacing was first conceived of in 1899.

The previous motor-paced record was set in 1995 by Fred Rompelberg and was over 15mph less.

Last edited:

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Whaaaaaa…? That is exactly how these records are set. It's called motor-pacing and is used to mitigate air resistance and get the bike going fast enough that it's physically possible to pedal it. As for nobody ever attempting it before, motor-pacing was first conceived of in 1899.

The previous motor-paced record was set in 1995 by Fred Rompelberg and was over 15mph less.
Where's the GIF?

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
She was only towed to get up to speed, around the 57 second mark you can see the tow strap let go and then she is pedaling on her own keeping pace with the rail car, she actually appears to gain on it a couple times.

What gear is she in, 35,175th?
Appears to be fixed gear with a double multiplier. You could probably stand on one pedal with the bike standing still and it wouldn't go anywhere.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
She was only towed to get up to speed, around the 57 second mark you can see the tow strap let go and then she is pedaling on her own keeping pace with the rail car, she actually appears to gain on it a couple times.

Appears to be fixed gear with a double multiplier. You could probably stand on one pedal with the bike standing still and it wouldn't go anywhere.
I believe she dropped the tether at 157mph and she was able to keep up with the accelerating lead car from that point, while in her drafting bubble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.