Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
For me, it's Gladiator. No matter where in the movie I stumble across it, I'll stop everything and sit and watch it till the end.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Not watching from start to finish would bug me too much. pPus surfing feels like something done a long time ago. No need with the internet.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
For me (and one I've been doing recently, since my children are wanting to watch it again), it is Wreck-It Ralph. The kids enjoy the storyline and characters, and I enjoy the trip down memory lane as I remember playing those classic video games in video arcades either at a shopping mall or in a bowling alley... where $0.25 would last a good 30 minutes on a game.

BL.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
L.A. Confidential, is one of those movies for me. As is Godfather II.

Both the Godfather movies* are pretty much stop-and-watch. We’ve seen them so many times, it’s easy to kind of just pickup from any point.

There are so many iconic moments, I tell myself, “Oh I just want to see where Michael confronts Fredo, OK, now I just want to see ...” and then pretty soon I’ve watched the whole movie. Funny enough, we own them on Blu-ray (the beautiful re-masters), so it’s not like we can’t watch them any time.

Have you even seen the edit with I and II presented together and also chronologically ordered? (i.e., the flashback in II played before the modern events of I). It was on FMC/AMC at some point, confused the heck out me :)

* I only acknowledge Godfathers Part I and II as Godfather canon :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Both the Godfather movies* are pretty much stop-and-watch. We’ve seen them so many times, it’s easy to kind of just pickup from any point.

There are so many iconic moments, I tell myself, “Oh I just want to see where Michael confronts Fredo, OK, now I just want to see ...” and then pretty soon I’ve watched the whole movie. Funny enough, we own them on Blu-ray (the beautiful re-masters), so it’s not like we can’t watch them any time.

Have you even seen the edit with I and II presented together and also chronologically ordered? (i.e., the flashback in II played before the modern events of I). It was on FMC/AMC at some point, confused the heck out me :)

* I only acknowledge Godfathers Part I and II as Godfather canon :)

No, I must say that I have never sen that particular edit.

While I like Godfather I a lot - it was a superb movie, and my mother loved it when it was first made, I recall as a child, her giving me a wonderfully exciting and detailed account of (much of) the plot - I was absolutely absorbed and riveted by the sheer brilliance of Godfather II. I only saw it in the early 1990s, (on TV), and then, by accident, and was an adult, and a teacher already when I saw it. That was a rare movie that I could hardly tear myself away from - it was spell-binding, and, to my mind, far better than Godfather I.

The problem with Godfather III is that a part of the real story - the significant story - which should have been told - what happened to Michael between the end of Godfather II and the start of Godfather III - wasn't even touched upon, and, while they had most of the very decent cast still available, they failed to furnish them with a morally relevant story worth telling. Michael finally being handed the bill for the [a]moral spending spree of his life is a tale worth telling, but it has to be told properly, with the same epic narrative arc of the other two tales, and unfortunately, Godfather III fell far short of that.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Until very recently, Shawshank Redemption and Godfather I/II.

Other people have told me the same thing.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'll own up to a few guilty pleasures as some have already mentioned some of my favorites.

Miss Congeniality
My Cousin Vinny
Dirty Dancing

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Until very recently, Shawshank Redemption and Godfather I/II.

Other people have told me the same thing.

Can't quarrel with that list, as it coincides with a few of the movies on my own list that I would stop and take a fresh look at.

And yes, you are absolutely right: the Shawshank Redemption is one of those movies that - if one strays into, one remains with it until the end.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Just to name a few...

"City Lights" - Charlie Chaplin. I have seen it countless times and it never gets old. Any Chaplin movie or short.

"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"

"The Wizard of Oz"

"Caddyshack"

"Bringing up Baby"

"Jaws"

"Sergeant York"

"The Shop Around the Corner"

"Pride of the Yankees"

"Gone With the Wind"

"The Hunchback of Notre Dame" 1939

"Wuthering Heights" 1939 - Another great classic I have seen countless times and one that touches my heart every time.

"Casablanca" - Another classic that I never get tired of seeing.

"The Maltese Falcon" - Same reason as Casablanca.

"The Adventures of Robin Hood" 1939

"My Man Godfrey"

Laurel & Hardy - "The Music Box," "Way Out West," "Sons of the Desert"

"The Thin Man"

"The Best Years of Our Lives"

"The Long, Long, Trailer"

"The Crowd" 1928

"The Big Parade" 1925

"Safety Last" 1923 (Harold Lloyd)

"Speedy" 1928 (Harold Lloyd)

"Papas Delicate Condition" - Great Jackie Gleason comedy

"The General" - 1926 (Buster Keaton)

"You Can't Take it With You" - 1938 Great screwball comedy

"A Night at the Opera" 1935 (Marx Brothers)

"The Grapes of Wrath" 1940

"Of Human Bondage" 1934 (Bette Davis & Leslie Howard) A must see.

"The Princess Bride"

"The Elephant Man"

"The Seven Year Itch"

"Slapshot"

"Animal House"

"My Name is Nobody"

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Mars attacks! ...... Doesn't play on TV often but when I run into it, it's a must watch.

Any Superman movie with Christopher Reeve as Superman.

All the Alien movies with Sigourney Weaver.

The Goonies.

The Neverending Story .... Came on last night. :D

Ice Age movies.

I'm sure there is a a lot more. You guys already list plenty that I feel the same about.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Ronin. Without question. What a cast. Dramatically shot. Realistic effects. Very good sound design. Good pacing no matter at what point you tune in.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Generally, I'm a one and done kind of guy, meaning that I rarely ever rewatch a movie or reread a book. I don't know, I guess it's just the time managment thing for me. Since I already know the story, it just feels like I'm wasting time to do it all over again. However, if I'm flipping through the channels or perusing the guide from my cable provider and I come across the original Jaws, I am powerless to keep from watching it. I may don't always sit through the remainder of the entire movie, but many times I do. There's just something about the characters and the tension of the story that always pulls me back. The boat scene at night when they are sitting around the table is so mesmerizing. The way Quinn superbly tells the story of the Indianapolis is so captivating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.