Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today at WWDC, Apple confirmed that multitasking would be coming to the iPad with iOS 9. The new feature will allow users to view, and sometimes interact with, two apps simultaneously in multiple ways. First is "Split View," coming to iPad Air 2, which brings the most powerful task managing multitasking experience to the tablet. With it a user can open two apps at the same time, and completely interact with them in the normal way with no limitations.

f1433786689.jpg

Conversely, older generation models and iPad mini will have "Slide Over," allowing them to slide in a smaller version of a second app from the side of the screen. Apple gives examples like quickly responding to a tweet or text message while browsing Safari as a prime example. Although, unlike Split View, Slide Over isn't true multitasking as the app relegated to the background can't be interacted with while the second app runs on the side of the screen.

iOS 9 will also bring picture-in-picture to allow users to watch video while browsing around within other apps. By simply pressing the home button when watching a video or even using FaceTime, users can browse their iPad as normal while a smaller boxed video keeps running in the corner of the screen.

Article Link: Apple Announces Multitasking Experiences for iPad with iOS 9

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I wish I could be able to watch movie while responding to texts on the side or reading an article. Can't be that CPU intensive.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
It's only two applications fully independent side by side for Air 2 only. The side view, and movie picture in picture work on Air 1 and the mini 2 and 3.

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
Hmmmm. Now thinking about selling my almost pristine 16GB iPad Air and getting a refurbished 64GB iPad Air 2. How much do y'all think I could get on Craigslist?

Ugh but the battery on the iPad Air 1 is better than the Air 2...........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.