Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Overall I think the new macrumors look is fine, no better or worse than the original - HOWEVER, I #$^*'ing hate that stupid red up and down arrow box on the lower right hand of the screen that pops up and disappears every time you scroll the page. PLEASE tell me how to turn that fricking piece of crap OFF!

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Agreed. That thing is redundant and intrusive.

Exactly. It's very standard interface convention that things which are red and suddenly pop on screen are supposed to mean "IMPORTANT!!! LOOK AT ME!!!" So every time I fricken slightly scroll the screen all of a sudden there's a thing shouting "IMPORTANT!!! LOOK AT ME!!!", but it's actually the *least* important thing on the screen.

And also exactly like you said, every web browser in existence already has a built-in controller to scroll up and down on a page, so the extra arrow box is *completely* useless. In fact it's anti-useful - it makes navigating the site *harder*, not easier.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I don't know anything about stylesheets. There really should be a preference setting to turn it off. I looked through macrumors preference settings but i didn't see a setting for this.

Reactions: grahamperrin

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
The arrows are triggered by Javascript, however this CSS should effectively move them out of your sight:
Code:
#uix_jumpToFixed{
    right: 100% !important;
    bottom: 100% !important;
}

Hah, I think you overestimated my knowledge when I said I don't know anything about stylesheets. What Exactly am I supposed to do with that code?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
@motulist, you can download the stylish extension for Safari here, or if you use Firefox here.

If you want an extension-less approach in Safari, save the code using a plain text editor to a file with a .css extension, and make it your user stylesheet in Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Style sheet > Other.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The arrows are triggered by Javascript, however this CSS should effectively move them out of your sight:
Code:
#uix_jumpToFixed{
    right: 100% !important;
    bottom: 100% !important;
}
I've been using "display: none !important;" which I think is a little more elegant than moving it off the screen :)

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
I am using Omniweb, and am useless at coding, so I did the following to rid myself of this pest:

When arrows appear, right click on them and select "inspect element"
Find "uix_jumpToFixed" and expand.
Untick all lines in that section.

Pest gone!

Er ... only until Quit. Rats!

Last edited:

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
@motulist, you can download the stylish extension for Safari here, or if you use Firefox here.

If you want an extension-less approach in Safari, save the code using a plain text editor to a file with a .css extension, and make it your user stylesheet in Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Style sheet > Other.

Well, I tried, really tried (on Omniweb), and failed.

Did I mention that I am useless at coding? "sigh"

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… Omniweb…

To select a custom style sheet (a sheet, a file, that includes only your preferred customisations):

OmniWeb preferences for the macrumors.com domain – page appearance – style sheet – custom.png

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
@OLDCODGER try something like this:

something like this.png

– and use OmniWeb to select that file then save the workspace, quit, relaunch the browser and revisit the workspace.

Or if you have just one MacRumors Forums page open, simply close then reopen the window to that page.

Here: OmniWeb 6.0 test (v625 r219164) on Mavericks. (Not the most recent test build; I don't use Yosemite.)

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
@OLDCODGER try something like this:

View attachment 561247

– and use OmniWeb to select that file then save the workspace, quit, relaunch the browser and revisit the workspace.

Or if you have just one MacRumors Forums page open, simply close then reopen the window to that page.

Here: OmniWeb 6.0 test (v625 r219164) on Mavericks. (Not the most recent test build; I don't use Yosemite.)

YAY! Getting Omniweb to save the file, instead of TextEdit, did the trick! Many, many thanks! :)

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003

I installed the stylish extension for safari, and it puts an "S" button in the toolbar, but it doesn't do anything when I click on the S button, and in safari's extension's preferences stylish is there but it has no settings. I'm on safari 5.0.5 (the newest version for the OS I'm running), and the extension installed fine, and shows up with the "S" button, etc., but I don't see how to make it do anything.

EDIT:

Whoops, sorry, I just did a fresh install of OS X, and I did one software update cycle, but I forgot that you have to repeat it several times to get all the way up to date. I'll update my system when I'm home later and see if that fixes the problem.

Last edited:

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I've been using "display: none !important;" which I think is a little more elegant than moving it off the screen :)

I did this (see attached screenshot), but the arrows are still there.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-06-14 at 4.17.58 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-06-14 at 4.17.58 PM.png
    60 KB · Views: 243

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm not familiar with that app that you're using, but it looks like you're not specifying #uix_jumpToFixed anywhere.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I'm not familiar with that app that you're using, but it looks like you're not specifying #uix_jumpToFixed anywhere.

That's the "Stylish" extension that I was told to use. Where do I type in #uix_jumpToFixed ?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
That's the "Stylish" extension that I was told to use. Where do I type in #uix_jumpToFixed ?

In the CSS box, which already has display: none !important; in it. Once you're done, the box should contain:

Code:
#uix_jumpToFixed{
display: none !important;
}

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.