18GB Ram?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MBX, Aug 1, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hey so i bought a Mac Pro with 2GB Ram and then bought 16GB third party Ram.

It seems that it's not possible to use the 2x 1GB Ram that came with the Mac Pro along the other 16GB's. I put them all in and it recognizes 16 but not 18.

So i guess i can take out the 2x 1GB Ram? Or do you think it should be possible to have them up and running along the 16GB?

let me know, thanks

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

It should be possible as long as they are paired correctly (ie put into the correct slots). Maybe the new ram that you purchased isn't an exact match or something but your are having an interesting problem there.

3. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

It sounds like you're running 4x4 gig sticks, right? So, that means you have 4 slots open. If you're going to use the 2x1 from Apple, you need to install them both on the same riser (riser A in this case). IMHO, I wouldn't even bother with them though, they might actually hinder your memory's overall performance. (I'll try to find the link that details that for you)

4. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes it's 4x 4GB.

And thanks i'll look forward to your info. If they're decreasing the performance i wouldn't want to put them back in but if they do work please let me know the details.

It would be great if they would actually work alongside the 16GB.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

6. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Wonderful! Thanks so much for this.

But do you think the stock and third party Ram will work nicely together or will they hinder each other even if it says in the "about this Mac" that all the Ram are being used?

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

they should work together as long as the specs match up
    800Mhz Pc6400 FB-DIMMS with heatsink.

I just upgraded my 2007 Quad MacPro to 8GB of memory
    The original stock 4x512 and the 2x1GB i added
    then i just upped it with 2x2GB recognizes it, you may want to do a PRAM reset after installing them.

maybe run the AHT for a few loops to see if it shows any errors (usually memory errors are very inconspicuous to find right off the bat), but generally provides some time for it to be utilized under a test instead of daily operations when the system could crash, if its gonna throw out errors mght aswell try with a Hardware Test instead of slapping them in and using it.

at first mine didnt recognize it but once i organized them properly did a few loops of the test to stress it abit, seems to work fine.

8. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

that chart looks like it's for the 'aught-six mac pro....

is it the same for the early 'aught-eight version?

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

the first diagram was modeled after the 2006 Quad/Octo MacPros
    and the second was taken for the 2008 Octo MacPros

essentially the same process, this might also be helpful:

http://www.barefeats.com/harper3.html