Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
So its that same old question everyone asks before buying a macbook. Should I buy now or wait for the update in June time. Think it will be worth those 3 months? Price likely to go up or down, would I be able to get a cheap 'current' gen macbook for a big discount from apple?

Thanks a lot.
BTW birthday is 22nd March so need some fairly fast responses... Thanks again :D

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
If you're just doing normal things (nothing high-end), it won't matter. Might as well get it now.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
On the flip side, Apple made it clear by including Firewire in the mini that firewire is not dead, and it will probably appear in the next macbook revision.

Plus, if you wait you'll have the latest, instead of getting something and knowing it'll be outdated in 3 months.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Dude, buy now. I have little reason to believe that anything is happening in June for the MB. Maybe the iPhone.
EDIT: FW showing up in the next MB is a pipe dream. Not going to happen.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Plus, if you wait you'll have the latest, instead of getting something and knowing it'll be outdated in 3 months.

Then you'll never stop waiting as something new is around the corner. Just buy the unit and have fun with it.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Then you'll never stop waiting as something new is around the corner. Just buy the unit and have fun with it.

Exactly. Because in another 5 months, it'll be outdated again. Regardless, it'll meet or exceed your needs. They are already very capable machines.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
There are few exceptions to the buy-it-now-and-enjoy plan. First, MAJOR revisions and MAJOR tech. By major revisions, I mean the polycarbonate MacBook to unibody aluminum MacBook. The chassis was completely redesigned and fitted with new architecture. By major tech, I mean stuff like USB 3.0, FireWire 1800/3200, Blu-Ray, etc. None of the major tech stuff will be going in Macs soon and the last major revision happened back in October.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
So its likely to be a minor spec update as in cpu clock speed sort of thing.
Also Snow leopard but I can alsways upgrade that when it comes out for a few quid.I thought with the release of snow leopard there might be some multi-touch and innovating tech stuff coming out in the revised macbook in june time.

I forgot to say I would like the macbook to last until I finish uni (probs 5 years), I'm studying architecture and design so I would need the power and would want it to last long, but at the same time I've waited such a long time to even get close to a macbook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.