$19,000 MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by reden, Aug 9, 2010.

1. reden macrumors 6502

2. DarthMoops macrumors regular

3. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Pfff... that's a drop in the bucket.

Sincerely

William Henry "Bill" Gates III

4. eponym macrumors 6502

Only 1 30" display?

But you bought two graphics cards!

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

6. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Seriously guys, why does Apple continue to sell their ram at such ludicrous prices? Do people really buy direct just for the added security of knowing they're fully recovered? You can max out your memory else where for at a fractional cost.

It really shows you how much a creative firm's budget is who buys a fleet of these machines for their business. $100,000 can easily just disappear.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

4x512 = 2... I think there's a failure with your maths :p

8. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

I don't have this kind of money even in Monopoly.

9. Vylen macrumors 65816

10. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

2TB, 2GB, both completely insufficient, it's pathetic. This machine's skimping on the gigabytes for my liking. My Dell has more megabytes and it only cost $190. Apple fanboi suckers.

11. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

Back around 1990 I was able to spec out a Mac IIfx that easily hit the $20,000 mark.

My "problem" is that there is less and less a need for this kind of power. I guess you can use it if you're running Maxwell Render, Maya, or ZBrush. But for the actual rendering work I would expect that would be handled by a server farm rather than individual workstations.

We buy similarly spec'd servers at my office for two reasons only - either they're going to be used as database servers with very high workloads, or they're going to be VMWare hosts, each running dozens of VMs. There are very few single apps that can make use of that kind of power. And of those apps even fewer are something you'd use on the desktop.

12. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

We are talking 4 512GB solid state drives. Thats expensive on any store you go too.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i wonder if they are SLC, for that price.....

14. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Yeah, buying additional RAM from Apple is a fool's game. So, they get that RAM "fully covered" by Apple for the term of Applecare??? I'd much rather have a LIFETIME warranty on the memory by buying 3rd party. :D

15. iRobertM macrumors regular

Insta ignore, congrats.

16. poot1234 macrumors member

And yet another example of overpricing proven by apple! :p

17. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Apple does not corner the market on high priced build to order options on workstations. You can go to any brand named workstation site and easily rack-up the price by maxing out all the options.

Sometimes you can get deals on some options, others prove to be a higher price.

18. aethelbert macrumors 601

Need some help?

19. poot1234 macrumors member

Yes that is true, brand names do rack up the prices, I've only built my own computers, don't like companies handling my computers!

20. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Don't need help, thanks...perhaps you should see this...http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/know-it-all

People who build computers can choose their own parts...can't see why people feel they should have to upgrade their systems through build to order options when buying a pre-built computer. Not unless they have no experience at upgrading at all.

21. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

They say it's the lowest form of wit. I say it's just intellect on the offensive.

22. poot1234 macrumors member

Precisely. It's not hard at all.

23. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Seriously, I don't get why anyone would ever order that much RAM from Apple. The SSDs I could understand for certain tasks since they're actually quite good value for 512GB parts. The RAM is just ridiculous though. An extra five minutes would save $250 and give an extra 16GB of RAM with triple channel memory support just by going with the stock RAM and getting three 16GB (2x8GB) kits at $3299.97 for three kits for a total of 48GB vs Apple's upgrade for $3550. I mean, there's a difference between throwing money around willy nilly and simply pissing it away.

24. aethelbert macrumors 601

ok I'll remember this for the next time that you quote a blatantly sarcastic post and try to nit-pick it apart.

Thanks for confirming the fact that I do indeed know everything.

25. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I'm just being sarcastic...I don't feel the need to repost the link you gave me.