19-20" LCD Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Forced Perfect, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Forced Perfect macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

I'm looking to get a new LCD to replace my very much dying Apple CRT.

Now I am aware most displays use faster 6-bit colour panels, whereas Apple uses slower 8-bit panels. As someone who is something of a photographer, I was wondering if anyone knows of decent 8-bit panel in the 19"+ range.

I'd love to go for an Apple 20", but they're pretty costly.

Thoughts?

2. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I can HONESTLY say that I have spent 6 hours researching monitors during the past 48 hours and probably 20 hours over the past two years.

If you are a photographer (my brother and I both are) BOTH the 20" and 23" APPLE ACD's are at the TOP of their game even compared to recent competitors. Now a lot of people on these forums are going to flame me back and tell me I am nuts, "that ACD's use old technology, etc," but hear this again:

Both the Apple 20" and the 23" are at the TOP of their games. Yes they cost more. BUT both also use a very superior S-IPS panel. They both have SWOP certification. They both have very finely tuned and well built C-LUTS. There are FEW monitors out there in the 23", 24" and 30" sizes that come close to any of these ACD's.

The 20" ACD -- for Print and Photography Work -- Simply cannot be beat for the Price. And this is with or without calibration. You can pay more for an EIZO or High End NEC 19 to 20" -- but why pay more.

And yes, you can a decent 6 bit TN panel from HP, Acer, Samsung, etc for $275 to $350 in a 22" size BUT you are giving up a lot for the extra two inches of screen size, especially if your focus is color accurate workflow for Print and Photography. Gaming and Video is a different story.

You can find a lot more info in this Peripherals Forum if you search ACD. I have put many posts out in this forum over the years with loads of useful links to help others understand the differences between 6, 8, 10, and 12 bit panels and between the TN, PVA, IPS panel types.

Before people flame me back, really do the work and the research -- compare specs and prices -- and you will learn the truth about monitors: newer does not mean better given the current state of technology.

And I do not always buy Apple -- I am no fanboy. I am in the process of buying a new monitor within 24 hours myself. A second 30" for my studio. I will probably buy the HP LP3065 as we already have a 30" ACD. The HP needs calibration to get its gamut and contrast under control for print work. You can read about this 30" here and learn why not all panels are equal out of the box.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2950